Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 4 door LT. I was backed into the other day and I need a new front bumper. I do not have fog lights now. I am wondering if I can use a front bumper cover from any year and model cobalt? (LS,LT,SS) 2 or 4 door? I am really interested in getting a cover for a SS because of the way it looks. Any input would be appreieciated. Thank you

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
if you get a front bumper cover from an SS, just make sure it's a 4 door

the 2 door and 4 door models are slightly different sizes

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
^^ are you sure about the 2-4 door being different sizes? I'm pretty sure there all interchangable. Only the sideskirts and rear bumpers are different.
As or the fog lights, you could just go buy some from auto zone or something and wire them up yourself

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
^^ are you sure about the 2-4 door being different sizes? I'm pretty sure there all interchangable. Only the sideskirts and rear bumpers are different.
As or the fog lights, you could just go buy some from auto zone or something and wire them up yourself
you might be right on that daman, i know for sure the side skirts are different, and the rears on 4 doors are a different shape, but i am not 100% sure on the fronts...... i know of a friend with an LT 4 door who tried a bumper from an SS coupe, and it didnt fit quite right(he made a few mods to it, and got it on there)

Both vehicles he tried it with were 05 models

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The 2 and 4 door fascias are the same...only 1 part number is listed in the parts book.

There are 2 SS fascias:

SS/SC/TC has slots cut out for the "chin" spoiler
SS/NA/Sport does not have the holes for the "chin" spoiler.

To fit either on the LS or LT you also will need the lower L+R brackets as the SS fascias are ~2" lower than the LS/LT fascia. Also, the SS/NA uses an air dam that fits on the LS/LT (The LS/LT air dam won't work on the SS Fascia). The SS/SC Air Dam won't fit as it attaches to brackets on either side of the radiator -- these brackets are only used on the SS/SC.

SS/NA/SPORT Fascia PN 12336074
SS/SC Fascia PN 19120184
SS/SC "Chin" Spoiler -- Extension PN 12336084
Retainer for extension 22688427 (12 ea)
L Bracket PN 15248111
R Bracket PN 15248110
SS/NA Air Dam -- Deflector PN 22699897
Retainer for deflector PN 11518017 (2 ea)

The upper grilles are interchangeable between the models -- you can use your LT grille in either SS Fascia

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Did I miss anything...LoL!
he wanted to aslo know about fog lights, isnt there just a plug and play harness you can get from GM that allows you to wire in fogs????

The air dam used on the SS/NA/Sport isnt worth installing, cause it is a cheap piece of plastic that breaks easily, i suggest not getting it

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
he wanted to aslo know about fog lights, isnt there just a plug and play harness you can get from GM that allows you to wire in fogs????

The air dam used on the SS/NA/Sport isnt worth installing, cause it is a cheap piece of plastic that breaks easily, i suggest not getting it
The wiring connections are probably in his car -- would need the harnesses to make it work, but I don't know if they would work in the BCM (damn computer controlled cars!) -- factory fog lights are rather expensive and would add serious $$$$ to the cost of the front end.

I put the air dam (deflector -- that's what GM calls it) on my 06 LS when I installed the SS/NA fascia on it, and had no problems with it or my 07 SS's deflector either. Wasn't it you that used one to plow snow...LoL!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2008 4 door LT. I was backed into the other day and I need a new front bumper. I do not have fog lights now. I am wondering if I can use a front bumper cover from any year and model cobalt? (LS,LT,SS) 2 or 4 door? I am really interested in getting a cover for a SS because of the way it looks. Any input would be appreieciated. Thank you
Get a front bumper for a 4 door to be on the safe side. they do make the ss front bumper in a 4 door and it will fit your car

·
Registered
11 Posts
the ss/na has the markings in the back of the bumper for the chin spoiler though, not cut out but are imprinted to be cut out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the replies. I had the body shop order a front bumper from a sport model. It looks the same as the SS but with out the lower air skirt or what ever it is called.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. I had the body shop order a front bumper from a sport model. It looks the same as the SS but with out the lower air skirt or what ever it is called.
If the body shop looked up the Fascia in a "Fascia IPB" they won't see the deflector (Air Dam) in that section...the deflector is shown in the radiator mounting section as it is held on by the lower radiator fittings and 2 retainers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will the sport cover bolt up the same as the basic cover? Or will I need extra stuff? I plan on getting the fogs later down the road and the lower grille later too.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I've definitely heard of people doing it. I dont know the exact details but I've heard of it happening.
EDIT sorry reading > me lol nice on getting the sport bumper, I think it should bolt right up, I'd imagine the mounting points being the same, and people seem to do it often enough without trouble.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sport fascia = SS/NA fascia. Will bolt up but you will need the brackets I mentioned in my earlier post. They allow the lower portion of the fascia to bolt to the lower splash gaurds. Also if you don't get the brackets you will have an open gap in the front lower wheel well cover. Look for a SS model or Sport model and you can see the end of the bracket in the wheel well (bottom 2" of the wheel well).

I know this because I put a SS/NA fascia on my 06 LS. I just left the fog light holes open.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The wiring connections are probably in his car -- would need the harnesses to make it work, but I don't know if they would work in the BCM (damn computer controlled cars!) -- factory fog lights are rather expensive and would add serious $$$$ to the cost of the front end.

I put the air dam (deflector -- that's what GM calls it) on my 06 LS when I installed the SS/NA fascia on it, and had no problems with it or my 07 SS's deflector either. Wasn't it you that used one to plow snow...LoL!!!!
Ah, the joys of living in Edmonton.....................

and FTR: i only used it as a plow AFTER the plastic dam filler busted

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I dont get the brackets right away will it hurt anything? Besides having the gap? I cant afford the $80 a piece for the brackets the dealer wants.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If I dont get the brackets right away will it hurt anything? Besides having the gap? I cant afford the $80 a piece for the brackets the dealer wants.
The fascia will be loose on the bottom of both sides without the brackets. They fill in the 2" difference between the SS/Sport Fascias and the LS/LT fascias all the way from the wheel well to the front edge of the fascia. Hold on I'll try to post a pick of what I'm typing about...

Not the best pic but it is the only one I can post quick:

http://www.yourcobalt.com/photoplog/index.php?n=238

You can just see the bracket on the left upper side of the fascia in the picture...looks like it's all bent out of shape but that's the way it comes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I guess as long as the bumper fits and bolts up most of the way i will be fine. I will head down to the junk yard and see if I can get the brackets for cheaper then the stealership. Thanks again for the help and info. The pic helped out too. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.