Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got this really annoying problem with my "new to me" 06 Cobalt LT.

When I apply the brakes I hear and FEEL a heavy "clunk" or "clack". It happens every time I apply the brakes at a slow speed and I can feel it through the pedal so it is definitely something substantial. Any thoughts?

I've had the car up on jacks with the wheels off...everything looks ok, although I did notice that the struts seem to be rusting pretty bad, especially right at the top looking up from inside the wheel-well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, you were totally right! I took the left control arm off, the rear bushing fell out.

I got a problem though. I tried taking the right control arm off, but the big bolt at the rear that holds the rear bushing in place is not coming out...it's just turning in place. Is there a nut at the top that I can hold with a wrench? (I haven't looked at it closely yet, didn't have time last night)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You're not going to have a fun time, you need to drop the cradle.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Read this, better information. Just take out the space and copy and paste.
http://www.cobalt ss.net/forums/suspension-67/powells-take-replacing-bad-control-arm-bushings-301627/

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you know a good mechanic he can weld the nut in place. Then the heat from the welding will break the bolt loose from the nut and you can remove it. If you have a welder and are good at it you can then do this yourself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Success!!!! (well almost)

So I decided to tighten that bolt back up as tight as I could. I noticed that the CAB stopped turning with the bolt just as it was getting really tight. All I needed to do now was get a vice grips in there to stop it from turning the rest of the way out. Took me awhile but I eventually got one in there. It's about 1" out but I don't think it's coming out any more on its own (I think I pushed the nut up a bit when I was trying to loosen it before).

I think I can pull it out with a vice grips or whatever tonight.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'll be very surprised if you get it out with just vice grips.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I got it out!

I picked up some PB Blaster and about a 5' pry bar. Using the pry bar I was able to maneuver the bushing down so I could spray some PB Blaster in there in the hopes it would drip down the shaft around the bolt. I kept the vice grips there as shown in the picture and alternated between turning the bolt & then using the pry bar to apply downward force to the bolt. It eventually came out enough that the threads started to pull the bolt out.

Success:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.