Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble finding out what is causing this rattling noise coming from the front end of my 06 Cobalt LS. It happens primarily when I go over bumps, but can also be heard even on smooth roads when at higher speeds (>45mph). It almost sounds like plastic hitting plastic.

I have a video of it, hopefully it helps. Sorry about the bad audio quality, my phone isn't the best.

https://youtu.be/oJD-MgXX_kA

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 06 had a front end noise that was hard to diagnose. Turns out it was the rack and pinion. After listening to that noise for almost a year (and replacing muliple front end parts), I started to feel the steering stiffen up intermittently.Car now drives like brand new after installing the new rack which is fairly easy to replace.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Have you tried changing the swaybar bushings?

***Notice on the box it says ''Assembled in USA'' lol, it's 2 rubber bushings made in Canada in a box printed in USA.***

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My 06 had a front end noise that was hard to diagnose. Turns out it was the rack and pinion. After listening to that noise for almost a year (and replacing muliple front end parts), I started to feel the steering stiffen up intermittently.Car now drives like brand new after installing the new rack which is fairly easy to replace.
I haven't checked my rack and pinion, but that seems to be more of a deep "clunk" noise. The noise coming from my front end is more of a high pitched "clack". Plus this noise happens whether or not I'm steering, and as far as I can tell, steering doesn't cause any noises.

Have you tried changing the swaybar bushings?

***Notice on the box it says ''Assembled in USA'' lol, it's 2 rubber bushings made in Canada in a box printed in USA.***
Lol anything to sell your product, right?

Anyway, I haven't tried that either, but again, I've researched this issue and it seems to make a low pitched "clunk" noise, while my cobalt makes a high pitched "clack" noise.

My cobalt does have some clunking, but I believe that is from the shocks, which I am going to replace soon. Since I'll already be in that area I think I'll go ahead and change out the swaybar bushings as well since they're so cheap. So thanks for the info!

To give some more information, it seems like the noise is coming from around the front bumper area. I'll see if I can get a video from the outside today to help find the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.