Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Cobalt Forum,

I need a little help again if that would be possible please! The last time I was on the forums was back in July, my check engine light was on. After some discussion here, a little research plus some elbow grease the problem turned out to be the rad fan was history, when power was applied it was overdrawing and blowing fuses (which triggered the engine light). So thanks very much for that, it's all fixed and been running great!

Todays problem is the nut on the front strut stabilizers refusing to budge. I've hooked it up with a 18mm socket + 17mm wrench on the rear grab plate, and it comes off a few turns. The problem is the rust (thanks Ontario road salt), and it won't go any further. It just turns in the strut mount.

How can I get the nut off and release the strut bar? Maybe get a threading kit for the bolt? Please advise!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Impact gun, otherwise it'll always spin

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Take a blow torch to it. No joke, I don't even try to save them. They just aren't worth the hassle. Mind you I live in the rust capital of the world, eastern Canada.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had the same trouble when I did mine last December. I clamped one side with a vice grips and let it spin until it contacted the car structure, and I used a torch to heat the other side. When it was hot, I put a socket on there with a long breaker bar and used an automotive jack under the bar. Started lifting the breaker bar with the jack and the weight of the car helped put more force on there than I ever could. Had to reposition the breaker bar a couple of times, but the nut came off.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Impact gun, otherwise it'll always spin
I second this. Took mine off two days ago and they had been off a few days before that and it still took the impact to get them off.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Impact doesn't always work. Sometimes I just spins the ball in the socket. This creates heat which will kill the end link

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I forget do stock ones have the small nut on the back?

I removed my stock ones the fun way. tore the ball out of the socket, ground the back ball down so I could fit a set of vice grips on it then rotated against the frame, used a half inch rachet with me using my leg while holding onto the engine cradle to push it. Fun times...

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
I forget do stock ones have the small nut on the back?
They have the 17mm (I think?) cast in nut on the front that generally rounds off. I just used vice grips on that area once it rounded. I was replacing them with Moogs anyway during the swap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.