Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i drive down the road I hear a loud banging clunking noise. When I drive slower over bumps the sound is louder.

Is it the struts or?

If it is the struts should I buy the Gm ones from the dealer or another brand and what would be the price at Gm in Canada?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
don't just assume it's the struts. a few common culprits are also stabilizer bar end links, stabilizer bushings, upper strut mount and broken springs.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Whatever the problem, remember that auto manufacturers do not make their own parts, the parts are made by other people and the appropriate part number and markings are applied. There are only two vehicle manufacturers that make their own parts and those are performance parts, Toyota and Harley Davidson. Everyone else farms out their parts.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
pulling the wheel off and doing a visual inspection is a good way to find end links, bushings and broken springs. the upper strut mount you can just push the car on the fender and bounce the car with the hood open. it'll make noise through the strut tower. it's usually the bearing that goes bad. there's also a rubber bushing in there that may crack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whatever the problem, remember that auto manufacturers do not make their own parts, the parts are made by other people and the appropriate part number and markings are applied. There are only two vehicle manufacturers that make their own parts and those are performance parts, Toyota and Harley Davidson. Everyone else farms out their parts.
Off topic but sorry to inform you I made thousands of Pistons for the HD Screaming eagle line.
My Brothers largest customer is Toyota/TRD both lines

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
oh btw a good way to check struts is
a. if it's leaking it's no good
b. bounce the car right above the strut. it will bounce up and lightly settle back into place. if it keeps bobbing the valve is bad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.