Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does the fuel filter need to be changed? I've got 2006 LT Sedan with 2.2L engine and automatic. 39,000 miles bought used.
I get varying opinions on if it needs to be changed at all. I assume it does, I believe it has 2 filters, one in the tank and one on the fuel line?
I'm going to get new tires at Evans Tire Centers and they have a $99 deal-new fuel filter, air filter, and throttle body cleaning.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Every 30,000 is recommended, and there are 2 "filters". The one in the tank never needs to be changed, its called a water sock. It keeps small amounts of water from getting into your fuel lines and its a rough filter. The only one that needs to be changed is the one just outside of the tank. It has an integral fuel pressure regulator so its not cheap.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Forget those $99 "Specials". Not recommended or required, unless you like handing over too much of your hard earned money. Purchase the correct GM (AC/Delco) replacement filter and replace it yourself or have your REPUTABLE service outlet do it (and just that) for you. Very simple and cheap!

GTO 1

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forget those $99 "Specials". Not recommended or required, unless you like handing over too much of your hard earned money. Purchase the correct GM (AC/Delco) replacement filter and replace it yourself or have your REPUTABLE service outlet do it (and just that) for you. Very simple and cheap!

GTO 1
My Chevy dealer wants $140 just to replace the fuel filter.
Evans Tire wants $99 and that includes an air filter, although the ad says most vehicles so I think it would be more expensive for a Cobalt. However I dont need a new air filter so if they do the fuel filter for $99 thats still a good deal.
From what I have been researching Evans seems to be a good outfit.

·
Registered
594 Posts
just go to valvoline if there is one by you,they only charge 20 dollars.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, I have a hunch that filter has never been changed (it was bought as a used rental car), so I think I should change it just to be on the safe side.
Is there anything else you know of that should be changed at 30,000 miles?
Cobalts are not really labor intensive cars. Really the only things you need every 30K miles would be air filter, fuel filter, automatic transmission service (especially because it was a rental), tire rotation/balance, and a rear brake service. Most of that you can do yourself if you are so inclined except for the balance of course. We include wiper blades and engine oil changes with the 30k services at my work but those are at your discretion. We also do a general inspection just to make sure nothing leaking, broken, or worn out. Spark plugs are good to 100k, no wires to replace, coolants good to 100k too, there is no timing belt to worry about. Every things just simple nuts, bolts, and fluid.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
just go to valvoline if there is one by you,they only charge 20 dollars.
I wont let those guys touch my car.

steve333 added 2 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

Cobalts are not really labor intensive cars. Really the only things you need every 30K miles would be air filter, fuel filter, automatic transmission service (especially because it was a rental), tire rotation/balance, and a rear brake service. Most of that you can do yourself if you are so inclined except for the balance of course. We include wiper blades and engine oil changes with the 30k services at my work but those are at your discretion. We also do a general inspection just to make sure nothing leaking, broken, or worn out. Spark plugs are good to 100k, no wires to replace, coolants good to 100k too, there is no timing belt to worry about. Every things just simple nuts, bolts, and fluid.
Transmission Fluid? I thought that was supposed to wait until 50-100,000 miles?
My dealer didnt seem to want to do anything, not even the fuel filter. My suspension creaks and groans but they insist nothings wrong so I want Evans to check it out while its there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Steve where are you at in the US? Cuz there is an Evans Tire in Smithfield, NC. Didn't know if it was the same place.

And btw, I plan on changing my fluid around 30K. I look at it this way, what happens if you change the fluid and filter? Nothing it just insures that it's clean and fresh. There isn't any harm in changing the fluid often. I myself am doing this..while others will wait until around 50k. I too am going to change my fuel filter real soon. I just haven't had the time to go to the dealership and pick up one yet cuz we don't sell them at Advance Auto yet. Oh and I plan on doing a radiator flush and re-fill around 60k cuz they the Dex-cool seems to clump up after time around the intake so I don't want that happening. My friend and I did a intake gasket job on a '01 Malibu and it had clumps of dex-cool around the ports of the intake. So want my car to be clean. LoL! I think it's called a Compulsive Disorder. LoL!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in San Diego. Evans is a family owned chain but I thought they were only in Cali.
I agree with you about the fluid changes-better safe than sorry. But in my case I dont work on cars or feel comfortable doing it so I have to get it done somewhere.
I'm thinking Evans would be an OK place to have the fuel filter changed but I dont know if I would want them doing the transmission.
I have to think about when I want to change the transmission fluid, I may do it next oil change but the dealer will probably tell me not to do it. (you'd think they'd want the business but they are very conservative about this stuff).

·
Registered
594 Posts
the valvoline by me is fine,way better then jiffy lube.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Transmission Fluid? I thought that was supposed to wait until 50-100,000 miles?
The owners manual may say that but keep in mind that chevy wrote that book and built that car. They want it to wear out so you have to buy another one. A mechanic wants to maintain your car because the longer you have it the more money we can make off of it. Straight up, no lies, its the truth and I won't sugarcoat it.

My dealer didnt seem to want to do anything, not even the fuel filter. My suspension creaks and groans but they insist nothings wrong so I want Evans to check it out while its there.
Thats very strange, I would be all over a vehicle like yours. Not only is it easy money (no offense) but being a previous rental car I know the company didn't maintain anything. Thats on top of people beating the hell out of it every day of its life. Try another dealer, see if they offer a multi-point inspection with rotation, ask your friends who they trust with their cars. Also specifically ask them about the suspension noises. I can say if a customer isn't complaining about a specific problem I wont go out of my way to bring it to their attention. The thought process is "because they drive it every day they must know about it and just not care".

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The owners manual may say that but keep in mind that chevy wrote that book and built that car. They want it to wear out so you have to buy another one. A mechanic wants to maintain your car because the longer you have it the more money we can make off of it. Straight up, no lies, its the truth and I won't sugarcoat it.

Thats very strange, I would be all over a vehicle like yours. Not only is it easy money (no offense) but being a previous rental car I know the company didn't maintain anything. Thats on top of people beating the hell out of it every day of its life. Try another dealer, see if they offer a multi-point inspection with rotation, ask your friends who they trust with their cars. Also specifically ask them about the suspension noises. I can say if a customer isn't complaining about a specific problem I wont go out of my way to bring it to their attention. The thought process is "because they drive it every day they must know about it and just not care".
I've had a really bad day. I brought my car to Evans Tires and they also didnt think I needed new tires but I told them Chevy insisted that was the problem and he recommended the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred. I told them how poorly the car felt on the road and the guy road tested it before and after the new tires and wheel alignment. The ride did not improve! I couldnt believe it. He said that the car feels as if there is nothing in the front struts or rear shocks-the car rides OK on a smooth road but as soon as you hit a bump or imperfection the suspension just clunks.
So I just spent $600 on good tires and they didnt help at all. I now have to go back to the Chevy dealer and try and force them to change the struts and shocks and to hopefully fix my steering correctly. Not to mention my sagging seat.

Oh, surprisingly enough he didnt think my fuel filter needed to be changed either! I thought for sure they would grab that sale. The people I know just go to their dealers mostly, however this place I bought my tires at has a good rep but he said it would cost almost $600 to change the struts and shocks so he thought I should try the dealer first. I have 400 miles left of their certified used 39,000 mile warranty. I think I have to bring it to them for warranty work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.