Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a pretty severe fuel leak that just randomly started today. It is a constant drip of probably near a few drops a second. I called and my vehicle is not covered under any recall, so I'm pretty much screwed on this one, hopefully an easy fix. I'm gonna get pictures up of what I can get. It's hard to tell exactly where the leak is coming from because it's rainy. The car won't start unless I put the key to the on position for a few seconds before starting it. 2005 base model with around 131000 miles. Pictures are ckming

2005 cobalt base model coupe

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

[/IMG]

This is where it's leaking from. That is just in from of the rear drover side tire.

In the second picture you can see how much I leaking out. I moved my car onto the road so I can lift it to check and that is the trail.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the dealership and they said that my car is not covered under any recall. So what should I do now? I don't think there Is any way they'll fix it for free. I am a poor college guy with a car payment and only one car. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I called the dealership and they said that my car is not covered under any recall. So what should I do now? I don't think there Is any way they'll fix it for free. I am a poor college guy with a car payment and only one car. I have no idea what I'm going to do.
Exactly what my car did. Hole in the fuel line. It'll be over $200

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I see. I just wemt to a jumkyard and got a used pump.. I know its not the best option but I really don't have a choice now. Hoping it works through the winter till I can get some more money. I got the seal from an auto store. Gonna try to get it swapped out tonight. Worst part is that I filled my tank from empty this morning lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My problem wasn't the pump. Its the fuel line. So I guess that's a relief. I have the car up on a lift at my neighbors for the night. Gonna go tomorrow and get some fuel line piping and get her all patvhed up

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

[/IMG]

There it ia

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
yep, common issue

·
Registered
279 Posts
My problem wasn't the pump. Its the fuel line. So I guess that's a relief. I have the car up on a lift at my neighbors for the night. Gonna go tomorrow and get some fuel line piping and get her all patvhed up

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

[/IMG]

There it ia

Yeah stupid rusted lines.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn.. lol I can't find any info

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

The line is 3/8

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

I got some fuel imjection rubber hose and high pressure clamps and I'm gonna see how that works out

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

Got it all together and its leak free!!!!! Hardest part was lowering the tank lol

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Oh and it was an $8.13 fix simce I did the labor

·
Registered
6 Posts
im having the same problem. is it possible i could fix this myself in my back yard, or would it be worth taking the car to the dealership/mechanic?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well check and make sure it is in fact a fuel line first. If it is, then you can simply do it in your back yard with a few jacks and jackstands. Just cut the old rusted piece out and replace it with new. I used a piece of rubber fuel injection hose from nappa that cost like $7.

But some balts have had fuel pump problems. if you can't see the leak coming from the line, then call your dealership and ask if your car has the fuel pump recall. If it is the pump you will need a lift to lower your gas tank and replace the pump. It would be very hard to do it without a car lift. So your best bet in that case is find out if it has a recall, if not Id take it to a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, great. It's a very simple fix. You provably don't need to drop the tank. You could either replace the whole fuel line, or just the rusted piece. I replaced the rusted piece only. Buy a pipe cutter if you don't have one, and cut out all the line that is rusted bad. Surface rust doesn't need to be cut out, just make sure you get the line that looks real bad, flaking and holes and such. measure how much you cut and buy some rubber fuel injection hose from nappa or a similar store, it cost me $7 for a little over a foot. Buy about 2 or 3 inches longer then what you cut, so it overlaps over the existing fuel line. And buy some hose clamps, to clamp the line to the existing one. Then you're done. Simple enough. If you have any questions make sure to ask!

·
Registered
6 Posts
purchased items

just making sure i got the right stuff before i tackle this project for the weekend

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

now that i think about it.... i think i have the wrong hose and clamps

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The hose clamps should be fine.. the hose should work too, but I got some from behind the counter. The guy cut it for me. So I'm not really sure if that is the exact hose or not

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

I got high pressure fuel injection hose, and high pressure clamps.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.