Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just wanted to update you on my everlasting issues with the Cobalt. After discovering a fuel leak by the rear wheel area, I was able to replace both the feed and return lines. The area where the lines are wrapped in insulation were rotted. Evidently the insulation holds water and salt well. Plus I replaced the filter. I blew into the old filter and got resistance until something unclogged and a bunch of gas blew out! After all was complete, I drove to a city an hour away, resetting the fuel economy first. I know these things aren't completely accurate, but to go from 22-23 MPG to 30-32 MPG, I'd have to say the issue is solved. Plus it's more responsive and doesn't bog down going up hills! I am one happy guy!

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
That doesn't surprise me - my buddy has an '09 SS/TC and had the fuel lines rot apart as well. Makes me glad I stopped driving mine in the winter years back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't blame you. While under the car I damn near cried when I saw how rusted the underbody was! Rocker area is starting to get bubbling in the paint as well. Ugh!

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
I had too much time/money into the vehicle, and the last winter I drove it, it got sprayed with ice off some pickup's plow (which chipped a part of the upper grill, plus more chips on my hood), and then I couldn't avoid a massive chunk of concrete that got kicked up on our off-ramp. I'm lowered, and there is no shoulder to avoid it on - ended up going over it. Actually lifted the car up, and the engine/trans broke it into smaller pieces. How it didn't break either pan, I don't know - but I'm pretty sure it bent one of the mounts (or more likely, the bolt), and left a nice chip in my then brand-new rear Powell Hardcore bar.

I decided at that point it would stay in the garage any winters after that. Don't mind it getting snowed on if I need the extra room in the garage to do something on the Camaro or one of the other cars, but I just want it out of the salt.

I have such a solid coating of rubber underneath that probably prevented a lot of potential corrosion. :laugh:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Glad you found the leak and plugged fuel filter.
30-32mpg is not too bad. As you know YMMV..
Your 10 mpg increase will be felt in your pocket and in the range between fillups.
Now if i recall correctly you have an f35 with a little lower gear ratio in the differential...about 1-3mpg lower than an LS or LT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.