Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like a little help from someone who knows more about cars than I do please... I bought a Cobalt from a guy who said it died in traffic. I noticed that the fuel injector fuse was blown, so I put a good headlight fuse in it. I pulled the fuel rail off and it sprays fuel nicely for about 5 seconds while cranking, and then you can see the pressure drop to zero over about ten seconds until it's just a drop of fuel at a time. If I pull the battery power and let it sit an hour, it does the 5 seconds of injecting fuel again. The Cobalt runs fine if I slowly drip fuel Into the intake hole... I replaced the fuel filter, thinking is was plugged.... Can I get some things to try/test? I'm pretty new to working on cars, and I like cobalts, so I would like to get it running again :) Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like a fuel pump gone bad. It's in the gas tank so you're gonna have to drop the tank. Very easy to do the work. Just time consuming. You'll have to disassemble the fuel pump in the tank to remove it and riasamble the pump in the tank. Tank hole is too small to remove pump unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
it probably is the fuel pump but I would make sure the fuel pump relay isn't shutting off
the cars prime the fuel rails for about 5 seconds before running - then if the car detects the engine isn't running turns off the fuel pump - if you listen when you turn the key on but don't start it you can hear the fuel pump run for 5 seconds or so - you can cycle the key and it will do it again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts