Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 2.2 that my daughter drives. Have owned it for 2.5 year and 30,000 miles. Currently has 58K miles on the odometer.

She had been complaining lately that the vehicle took longer to start the first time in the morning than usual. We traded vehicles for a week so I could drive and see for myself. Cleaned the throttle body to see if perhaps that would resolve the issue. Then ran a half bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil through the tank. (I was thinking injectors were partially clogged).

On Wednesday of last week when I arrived at work I was sure I smelled gas when I parked, but there were no drips underneath the car, so I passed it off as someone else's fumes. Thursday the same thing happened, so I spent some time with a flashlight that night when I got home looking for some kind of leak.

I advised her to turn the key to 'on' (not start) twice before trying to start it, thinking that the fuel rail was losing pressure and hitting the fuel pump twice before starting would fully pressurize the system and do away with the starting problem. That worked, but was not really the issue.

Sunday she came in the house and indicated that there was a pool of gasoline under the rear of her car. I put it up on jack stands and slid around under there (after it all evaporated) and determined that when the fuel pump had power the leak appeared. Monday AM I called the local dealer and described the situation. I suggested that the fuel pump module that is widely known as a recall item was the issue. (Her VIN is in the range of the known problems I found somewhere). The service rep made a distinction that this was not a recall (which means that GM contacts me directly and asks me to come in and have something repaired, ie the electric steering) but this was a 'special agreement" item, which meant they would pay for the repair if we had a problem with that part. The car was picked up by 9am, and by 3pm she had called me back to tell me it was ready.

I was fully expecting this to take an entirely different path....and I'm pleased that this did not involve any whining/screaming/begging.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
tha'ts awesome, glad that you got the car working for your daughter again without any prying out of GM teeth :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.