Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day running light sensor seems to think it is always night time even in the bright sun. Anyone else experiencing this? It only started the last couple of days but can be really annoying not being able to see the radio and the odometer dials. Any assistance appreciated.

ron

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Do you have anything laying on top of the sensor? Like a hat or a pair of gloves.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Clean it with a alcohol pad? It's hard to not notice something covering it but you would be surprised. Look for anything covering it's path to the outside light

Sent from my EVO

·
Registered
118 Posts
I switched from the stock bulbs to HIDs not to long ago. With my year and model (2009 2.2) it was recommended that you pull the DRL fuse. I did this and I only had the headlamps come on during the night, but now suddenly they are on all the time leaving me to believe I am having this same issue?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
got a relay harness?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never place anything on the dash. I don't even know what HID's are so I don't think I have them, but I will clean thoroughly with an alcohol pad even though it doesn't appear dirty there might be a build up on the sensor. I was thinking this over last night this sensor has never really worked the way I thought it should. It never thought it was daylight when in fact the sun was shinning in the early morning and I was just driving with the sun at my back throwing a shadow across the dash. Are these things that sensitive? If anyone has the same experiences please let me know what you did to correct and if you had to get it repaired where did you go and what was the cost.

Thanks again;

ron

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not using a relay harness. Also, aren't the display lights also controlled by the same sensor, you know the ones that become brighter such as the green type on the DIC and radio face? If so I know it's no the sensor because that always works fine (I.e. if driving during the day time the display dims if I go under a dark highway overpass but re brightens when I come out.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
looks like your issue just might be something relating to your headlight snappa? not too sure

OP might be having a sensor issue though since all his DIC and radio display fades away too. ronh have you done anything different in the last couple of days to your car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing i've done in the last week is wash it, but i've washed it before and have had no problems, except that it got quite cold two days after, -8C on the day i washed it to -22C a day and a half later. That should not cause any problems as people wash cars in worse temperatures than that all the time here in Winnipeg.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It doesnT blink

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
I have had this issue for a few years. It started out intermittent, and became permanent. I have not figured out a permanent solution, and the dealer couldn't replicate. Haven't been back to them since I tuned, and honestly don't trust my local dealer techs for other reasons. But if your headlights dont go off with the switch, it's likely the switch on the console or a short to ground after the lights in the circuit. I'm hoping to get to this in the coming spring because neither GM or the internet seems to have a good fix other than replace your fusebox. Which im not doing for the price.
Btw, I put inline fuses to a switch I put in my hatch for the trunk release to temp. fix.
And yes I replaced the photocell diode on my dash... It sucked.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I have had this issue for a few years. It started out intermittent, and became permanent. I have not figured out a permanent solution, and the dealer couldn't replicate. Haven't been back to them since I tuned, and honestly don't trust my local dealer techs for other reasons. But if your headlights dont go off with the switch, it's likely the switch on the console or a short to ground after the lights in the circuit. I'm hoping to get to this in the coming spring because neither GM or the internet seems to have a good fix other than replace your fusebox. Which im not doing for the price.
Btw, I put inline fuses to a switch I put in my hatch for the trunk release to temp. fix.
And yes I replaced the photocell diode on my dash... It sucked.
Have you tried disconnecting and re-connecting the "BCM"?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Yes, and I tried disconnecting the photo diode wire at the BCM also. Checked all fuses in the BCM and cleaned all grounds related to the BCM. No luck yet. Havn't looked into it much in over 2 years though.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Wish I had a multimeter and knew what I was doing before I poked around everywhere though to be honest with you all.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The decision to turn your lights on or off is made by the BCM depending on certain criterias.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, for some strange reason the DRL system decided to turn itself on without any input from me as the garage I use was closed over the Christmas holiday. Has this phenomenon happened to anyone else? The only thing I can think of is that when I washed the car and the temperature took a nose dive there may have been some kind of moisture that got into a sensor and froze. The temperature has since returned to normal -12C and now the stupid thing is working. I am going to get the garage to check and see if there is a seal that has come loose and maybe that can explain it. Thanks for all the input and if anyone else has had the same experience please let me know.

Regards;

ron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.