Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll it has been a couple months and the engine has been flawless since the full top end rebuild and getting ready to change the oil for the second time and thinking about going full synthetic, my question is, has anyone done it and is there any reason why it is not a good idea?

·
Registered
120 Posts
My ls has used Mobil 1 full synthetic starting with the first oil change and still going strong. 113k on it now, my dad bought it new and it's never been to a shop for an oil change. Nothing has broke besides the a/c. I wouldn't say nothing's broke because the oil but it didn't hurt anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Royal purple here for 30k and no issues.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Switching to full synthetic did not cause me any problems. Valvoline here.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Why would you think it wouldn't be good for your motor?

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you get synthetic, stick with it. Dont flip flop back between that and conventional.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I think full syn is superior in every way. But no matter what you use, keep it full and change it at interval and you'll be good.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
With full synthetic you should be good to 6000 miles (10000Kms) but you should still change the filter after 3000 miles (5000Kms) if you use a conventional filter . Like stratosproject says important for the ecotec to keep oil level as close to the full mark as possible, so check it frequently so you don't starve your timing chain. An other plus for synthetic is that you can depend on the oil life monitor since it is designed and calibrated for synthetic. Also you should buy an oil filter designed for synthetic because regular paper oil filters tend to disintegrate. Synthetic oil filters appear to be more of a fabric material and hold up better.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Here is a picture comparing Purolator synthetic filter on the left which appears to have a white felt like material very soft to the touch, Fram Synthetic in the middle which appears to have a fiberglass type material very rough to the touch and a conventional Fram which is just yellow paper material.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Gah, Fram is worst for GM vehicles...everyone should know that. Use AC delco for oil filters. Alvin Champion lol.

Switching to full synthetic is not a bad idea for a car thats used to regular 5w-30, but never go back and forth, that will cause bearing issues in the future. Nissan and Infiniti cars equipped with the VQ37HR engine block use Ethos oil to prevent corrosion buildup on the intake cam for the VVEL system (intake Cam if you want to call it a cam, its really a solenoid idea from Indy cars). I used approved Dexos synthetic blend oils ATM and never ran accross any issues with AC delco filters.

Questionable about the K&N one out there..dunno what their micron rating is, but you need a good micron rating for filteration.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Shoot, I use the Fram yellow cardboard filters. Got 6k kms on this oil (Castrol Edge w/Syntec) without changing the filter.

Motor's lost two pegs on the dipstick since putting in fresh oil.
There are a reason why Manufacturer's use their products, R&D :) Frams are too generic for multiple vehicles. Seen a LS3 camaro blow engine with a Fram product. No warranty :(

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Would you believe that the place I buy my oil only had three options for filters, and Fram was the best one (or biggest name/most expensive at least). One was Motomaster and the other was green, though I forget what brand.

I buy at Canadian Tire, which is part hardware, part autoparts, and part sports equipment store.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I spent way too long researching filters before buying one, I will now never use a Fram product. I went with K&N and bought three, I used them all and was in a pinch so got a Bosh filter for the last oil change.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Its best to use what it came from factory. GM uses AC delco with dexos oil. I work at Mitsubishi and all of their products use 0w-20 synthetic of MMC (mitsubishi motor company). Its as close to water as you can get for oils lol.

If you feel fram is a good product, then use it. Just from what I hear of other GM owner's frown upon Fram. I know K&N is a good product for oil filters, I used to use in my WRX with Royal Purple...then again, my bottom end was not stock and needed the correct amount of microns to keep it clean. It was pricey though, but worth it on a built block. For stock, just stick with what you feel is best. Not for price. Look up what Fram's Micron rating is and compare it to others. The higher the microns, the cleaner the oil is.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Changed my oil this weekend... went with AC Delco... 5W-30 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you have a gasket or bearing fail, it was going to fail anyway. Synthetic oil will find the leaks.
Just keep it clean and changed often. I have never had a problem with flipping in any cars - 2006 G5/2.4l - 212K kms,
Todays oils - switching back and forth between dino and conventional oil will cause no problems, just pick the best you can afford and don't mix the weights.
For stock of course.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Ah. Yesterday was the first time in 88K miles my car has seen Synthetic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.