Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i would think that a g5 gt gauge cluster would be cheaper and easier to find than an SS cobalt one... on that note would it be plug and play like the SS one ? auto adjust and everything?.. also i kinda wondered dose the miles that come on the cluster stay on it or dose it adjust to your car?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I know that the cluster automatically reads the miles to whatever car it's hooked up to, i'm not sure if a g5 gt would work or not

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok good so like if i found an SS one in a junk yard or something with like 50 k itll read my 800 miles and say that.. ?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah just make sure you match up the correct years and you'll be fine

·
Registered
567 Posts
G5 cluster will work....i have one im my car....

·
Registered
129 Posts
hmmmmm

I have a question? If replacing the cluster, how does the odometer know how many miles the car has gone? I know its not stored in the ECM. I use to work in manufacturing and repairing big rig clusters for almost all trucks and the digital odometers are where the miles are kept. We would install a new odo and the truck would start off at zero.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
I have a question? If replacing the cluster, how does the odometer know how many miles the car has gone? I know its not stored in the ECM. I use to work in manufacturing and repairing big rig clusters for almost all trucks and the digital odometers are where the miles are kept. We would install a new odo and the truck would start off at zero.
On our cars it is stored in the ECM. OUr cars are just a tiny bit different than big rigs.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Most rigs lifetime are determined in engine hours anyways from what I've heard. Most commercial vehicles I've sat in or rented have an engine hours display.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So if I understand what people are saying, I can go to a dealer, buy a new ECM and change my 06 with 90000 miles to an 06 with zero miles...

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
So if I understand what people are saying, I can go to a dealer, buy a new ECM and change my 06 with 90000 miles to an 06 with zero miles...
:eek:h:

No. You buy a new cluster. Plug it in. It will still read all your original info.

It will not be set to "0".....

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Most rigs lifetime are determined in engine hours anyways from what I've heard. Most commercial vehicles I've sat in or rented have an engine hours display.
100% correct, the only time they are reset is when the vehicle had a 100% overhaul which is actually rare.

·
Registered
48 Posts
are these the same as the ones in the 2.4 SS? i just bought one the other day and im so excited for it to come in. $30 plus $15 shipping on ebay!!

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Yes, so long as it is from the same year as yours. If you get one from a different year you will not have all your DIC info display correctly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
:eek:h:

No. You buy a new cluster. Plug it in. It will still read all your original info.

It will not be set to "0".....
The post from Jimbug was if he bought a new ECM, not gauge cluster.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Yes, new ECM will show 0 miles

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
05-06 will interchange between eachother. after that you have to do 07-07, 08-08 etc.

are these the same as the ones in the 2.4 SS? i just bought one the other day and im so excited for it to come in. $30 plus $15 shipping on ebay!!
yah they are the same thing except they light up red instead of the blue white color

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yep, my bad. I forgot that the 05 and 06 were interchangable.
I think 05 had some wierd thing with the fuel gauge. I know its an issue that comes up in tuning since if you have an 05, they have to make sure your fuel gauge is reading correctly. Something about it being reversed (Fuel level magically rises as the tank drains).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.