Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, im new here, and wanna know what you guys are getting for in town gas mileage? I have an 08 cobalt Base model with an automatic. I have about 2500 miles on it now , and the info center says 19.5 mpg. I was hoping for better than that, but i guess not. Now i know that maybe that info center isnt real accurate, and i will figure it out the old fashion way, but i dont drive it a whole lot, being that its my wifes car.Was just wondering what others were getting with an automatic. thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey everyone, im new here, and wanna know what you guys are getting for in town gas mileage? I have an 08 cobalt Base model with an automatic. I have about 2500 miles on it now , and the info center says 19.5 mpg. I was hoping for better than that, but i guess not. Now i know that maybe that info center isnt real accurate, and i will figure it out the old fashion way, but i dont drive it a whole lot, being that its my wifes car.Was just wondering what others were getting with an automatic. thanks
I have an 06 Cobalt and I get about 35 to 36 mpg. But also its going to be less in stop and go traffic in town, but the lowest I've had was 32mpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
try not accelerating as hard from stops, i've noticed it will kill in town mileage. reset the DIC and adjust your driving habits and see what you get. in my ss/sc originally i was getting about 26-27 in the city. add some custom top secret mods and now im averaging 36-37 mpg city, 49-50 on the highway. i thought it was too good to be true at first sight of my DIC, checked it with 3 different fuel mileage calulators and it was correct.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
try not accelerating as hard from stops, i've noticed it will kill in town mileage. reset the DIC and adjust your driving habits and see what you get. in my ss/sc originally i was getting about 26-27 in the city. add some custom top secret mods and now im averaging 36-37 mpg city, 49-50 on the highway. i thought it was too good to be true at first sight of my DIC, checked it with 3 different fuel mileage calulators and it was correct.
by top secret modifications, you mean yoou removed the lead from the top of the accelerator pedal, and tweaked the normal operations of the vehicle by bringing down average speeds?

·
Registered
94 Posts
22K miles in...

...and lots of mods --> 27mpg hwy @ 75mph

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
at 55 mpg with cruise control i get 47mpg. if you dont believe me ill upload a video, i took a video of it.

as far as town driving goes. i get about 28-32

·
Registered
26 Posts
the most i have ever seen outta my 07 2.2 with mods is 30 maybe 31 im usually around 24-26 in town and 27-29 on highway at about 75. so how the heck do you get 49-50??? do you shut off your car down hills and cruise?!? let me in on that secret

·
Registered
298 Posts
Stock I was averaging 31.3.
Next week, I will know what the car has done with the mods.
I reset it at oil change time and it will be 3000 mikes Monday.
I will lwt you know....

·
Banned
384 Posts
if you drive like 58 mph youll get the best mpgs possible

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
the most i have ever seen outta my 07 2.2 with mods is 30 maybe 31 im usually around 24-26 in town and 27-29 on highway at about 75. so how the heck do you get 49-50??? do you shut off your car down hills and cruise?!? let me in on that secret
reset the mpg gauge while you have cruise control set. so it will tel you what kind of mpg you are getting right at that moment not all together.

the palce i did this test was ocean state parkway on long island. its pin straight for miles, no turns curves hills or anything, and its at exact sea level. so there was nothing to interfere with the test. there was me 150 pounds and my system prob. weighing in at id say 50 pounds. that was the only extra weight, and i have no preformance mods, i use standard penzoil, regular 87 octane gas.

i really dont know why you arnt getting good milage. i do know that if you have your car on but just in park it contributes to your mpg, so its calculating the lose of gas and the fact your going nowhere, so that does drasticlly change the total mpg reading.
-----Added 17 Oct 2008 at 03:04:49-----
YouTube - chevy cobalt 46 mpg

55mpg 46.7 mpg

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
31.3 was my average over 3000 miles.
( All types of road conditions, city and highway)
I thought it was pretty good!

·
Registered
138 Posts
hmm i have an 07 with uhh 18,000 some miles.. I get about 26-28 mpg driving around but i'm mostly driving around an area with lights everywhere and i'm not always accelerating slower... when i do highway to somewhere a good distance i get like 30+ by the end of the trip. when i first started driving my balt the mpg wasn't good bc i was enjoying the car haha but once you start filling it up and resetting the DIC after you fill up it'll prob get higher and such

·
Registered
298 Posts
The 31.3 I was getting was before the current mods.
I will post new numbers after my next oil change.
(scheduled for 10/21)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have reset my DIC while driving highway and seen numbers as good as 47 mpg. It's like blkbalt06 is saying, the stop and go of city driving kills your mpg. Maintaining a speed is easy compared to starting off the line. Haven't you seen any spacey movies? 80% of energy is used in takeoff. Same with any car. Starting from a stop requires much more energy. I am going to have to guess that once blkbalt06 hits the offramp and drives the surface streets to get to his front door, his mpg will change drastically. I drive and 06 LS with 52k and get 33/35.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would like to know more about these "secret mods"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.