Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’m new to this forum but was hoping I could get some help. I have a 2008 Chevy cobalt LS with around 80,000 miles on it. The other day I got home from work and smelled a strong gas smell when I got out of the car. I wasn’t sure if it was my cobalt or one of my other cars. The next day I took it to work again and at worked smelled the gas smell again outside the vehicle. I moved the car under the carport when I got home to see if I saw any leaks ok the concrete and the car didn’t start very well. The idling seems fine and I don’t see any leaks any where. I’m going to look more at it when I’m off again but was hoping some people had ideas of what it might be. I’m hoping it’s not a fuel pump. Please any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Check the fuel line just in front of the driver's side rear wheel. They tend to rot in that foil wrapping. The reason it's hard to start is because the fuel flows back to the tank as air gets in the line. Your fuel pump has to prime the line before injectors will work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I will check it today. The Chevy dealer told me if the pump was spewing fuel it would be covered under a recall but I don’t see any fuel yet

·
Registered
39 Posts
its the fuel pump! do you run it on empty? mine almost busted into flames cause it was leaking so bad and I didn't notice the smell for so long make sure its okay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was leaning in the line in front of the rear driver side wheel!! Right where the clamp is. Cut a four inch piece out and put a high pressure hose on it seems like it’s back to new!!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I like it when I'm right....glad I could help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.