Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone thought of this... ok i know our tanks are not huge by any means but would it be more efficient to fill the tank half way up each time you get gas instead of full....that way your not carrying around the extra weight from the gas?

·
That's Mr. meogE to you.
150 Posts
idk, I know with avgas (100octane low lead) it weights 6lbs. per gallon. I've heard anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 for regular fuel but if you use that 6lbs. then our 13 gallon tanks will hold 78 lbs of fuel. Having half a tank reduces the weight by 39lbs. not much of a difference but the question is: is it worth it to have to stop twice as often to lighten the car by the weight of a small child?

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Technically speaking it'll be more efficient, but not enough that it'll ever be noticable honestly. Plus if you have to stop every other day for gas it'll just be a huge hassle.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
in high school I had a friend that actually took the time to test this for no reason whatsoever.... one month filled up every time, the next did halfs. halfs actually ate more gas overall, but marginally were about the same.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
The standard for weight reduction vs. mpg formula is 100 pounds reduced = 1 more mpg. Technically speaking only fueling up to 1/2 a tank should be more efficient than carrying the extra 40 lbs or so, but by less than .5 mpg.

That savings would most likely be chewed up by the additional stopping to get gas, not to mention that some cars with pressurized fuel systems get better mpg above 1/2 a tank, and it's hard on your fuel pump to run it to empty all the time.

You would save a lot more mpg by removing the extra weight within the passenger cabin, and the spare tire / jack.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your wondering if removing 40-50 pounds of gas from your car is going to make a diff. So you would consider stoping twice as much to get gas, and going thru all that hassle but yet you have 60 pounds of subs and box in your trunk.
this was a general question.. but thanks for telling me how much my subs weigh

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

The standard for weight reduction vs. mpg formula is 100 pounds reduced = 1 more mpg. Technically speaking only fueling up to 1/2 a tank should be more efficient than carrying the extra 40 lbs or so, but by less than .5 mpg.

That savings would most likely be chewed up by the additional stopping to get gas, not to mention that some cars with pressurized fuel systems get better mpg above 1/2 a tank, and it's hard on your fuel pump to run it to empty all the time.

You would save a lot more mpg by removing the extra weight within the passenger cabin, and the spare tire / jack.

that makes sense.. i guess if you had a way bigger tank it would.. for instance my dad owns a 33 ft mini yacht.. so filling that half full would obviously help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.