Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever added Marvel Mystery Oil to their gasoline? An old timer next door to me swears by it, but I'm afraid to try it on my '08 Cobalt

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm not a fan of any gas additives.

The fuel doesn't get into the engine.

Any "mixture" is a very fine spray intended to burn in the combustion chamber -- only a few additive-molecules find their way into the cylinder (how can that heal an engine?)

Just like an outboard motor that uses a mixture of gas and oil, the oil has a tendency to get into the exhaust -- over time that can affect the O2 sensor(s).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

The fuel doesn't get into the engine.

Any "mixture" is a very fine spray intended to burn in the combustion chamber -- only a few additive-molecules find their way into the cylinder (how can that heal an engine?)

Just like an outboard motor that uses a mixture of gas and oil, the oil has a tendency to get into the exhaust -- over time that can affect the O2 sensor(s).
X2... Excellant Advice.. Heed it!

GTO 1

J

·
0 Posts

Ok, I'm new here, but I'm a marine mechanic. I ahve never seen a outboard two stroke with an O2 sensor. All the outboards I work on that have an O2 sensor is a Fuel Inject 4 Stroke. Even the Carb 4 Strokes don't have an O2 Sensor.

But I do agree about the "Additive" idea.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
My sis's car might be due for a seafoam it runs like shit always has it's a 2003 eclipse and it just feels powerless seriously I floor it from a stop and just yawn at how long it takes for it to redline first and second etc seriously. I wanted to put an intake on it or something lol but the airbox is weird like and I don't know how I'd be able to so I just said F it. But maybe I should try that on her car. Or are they just naturally really slow as shit? I think she has like 55,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
is it just a 4? and i never could let myself sea foam my car, im afraid i'd fxck it up. someone explain to me in detail how to do it w/out messing my car up?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
maybe the 4cylinder eclipses are just slow as balls

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
yeah, their 2.4 four cylinders man...and make 147. epic fail

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Ok, I'm new here, but I'm a marine mechanic. I ahve never seen a outboard two stroke with an O2 sensor. All the outboards I work on that have an O2 sensor is a Fuel Inject 4 Stroke. Even the Carb 4 Strokes don't have an O2 Sensor.

But I do agree about the "Additive" idea.
LoL! I wasn't saying a 2-stroke outboard has an O2 sensor...just pointing out that the oil makes it's way into the exhaust...it doesn't all burn up...on a four stroker that means oil put into the cylinder will find its' way into the exhaust too and get on the O2 Sensor...

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Hmm my dad said it was seafoamed before... then i guess it's just a shitty slow car LOL

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
hmm that is weird, well(not saying anyone did something wrong by this) but sometimes people do not do it right and it ends up messing up some things. But if you follow the instructions car well be fine. I do not see these cars needing it for along time, aslong as you regularly do the maint. it should be good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.