Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my names Gus, my girl friend just bought a used 2007 cobalt LT 2 door 5 speed. So I'm trying to do a little learning on this thing and get some speed out of it.. I'm new to gasser performance been a diesel guy since I could drive. I currently have a 05 cummins with many mods and I'm a member of quite a few diesel forums. My heart belongs to the bowtie family though even though I'm currently trapped in a dodge. I had a duramax before and will have a duramax again once the dodge is gone.

Thanks guys & gals,
I look forward to learning from you!!

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Hi Guss,
First off from your other post your girls car has a 2.2 Ecotec in it. As far as performance options there are many but it all depends on what you want and your budget. I bought my car for the purpose of daily driving and to do a few mods to but it will never be what i want it to be without going Force induction and full suspension swap and for that amount of money I will invest else where. With you having a diesel with mods as your daily driver your never going to experience that TQ, some will ask what that has anything to do with a Cobalt, well I had 2 S10 v8's one being pro street and a few other very fast cars and I for one will never be satisfied with dropping thousands into a car for what I call subpar performance.

Now with your girls car fully bolted (Header, Intake, Down pipe, Exhaust, 2.4 SS mainfold) and a tune (Trifecta tune is really the only tune anyone uses for Cobalts) on a Mustang Dyno you will see about 145-155 Wheel HP, on a Dynojet or Dynopac you will see 170-180. Some people will tell you they are at 200 without any internal mods and just all bolt ons and a tune but they are full of it. This will cost you and average of 2 grand based on the parts and companies you buy off of. Changing the suspension to help compliment the added power (which is not needed but makes a hell of a difference) to all SS (FE5) components will cost you about $400-$500 for Struts and shocks, SS Anti sway and bushings. If you want lowering springs to compliment the new suspension your looking at $150-$350 depending on the company. Adding a rear sway bar will cost you $150-$300 depending on the company and size, but it is well worth it.

With everything above, her Balt will be quite capable and quite fun to drive as a daily driver, but to me still not "Fast".

You can go turbo which I will say Roughly costs $2500-$3500 depending on the parts and bolt ons you choose and deals you find.

Going supercharged, most guys will say $1800-$2500 depending on the parts and bolt ons you choose and deals you find.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice to meet you, hope you find some good ways to speed it up.

I know on Honda's if you put a really big wing it can add some extra HP but I dont think it works that way on Cobalts =P

anyways welcome!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Appreciate all the info and the warm welcome!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The L61 has quite the potential depending on your budget. If you go forced induction, you should be fine to around 250hp before needing to replace the rods.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats the hp difference between the standard 2.2 cars and the sc/tc ss models?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Whats the hp difference between the standard 2.2 cars and the sc/tc ss models?
Welcome to the forums. I've learned alot from these guys and modded alot all on my own thanks to the DIY's and such. Notto mention i've never modded a car before this cobalt. So needless to say you've come to a great site.

Anyways to answer your question, a stock base model 2.2 cobalt has roughly around 140-145 hp. A stock SS/SC model hits 205 HP (remember these are small light cars thats pretty good) And the stock SS/TC hits 260 HP.

For your first mod on your g/f's 2.2, if you have little intentions of SC, i highly recommend a cold air intake. It makes quite a noticeable difference and sounds amazing. But as said above, you acquire the bolt ons, itll be a quick ride. It may not quite be a race car, but it'll be alot of fun to drive

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
For "Rated" power, the SS/TC's LNF is about 110HP/TQ higher than the L61. That being said, a simple tune will easily push the SS/TC to around 300+ to the wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.