Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Veronica having front door speaker issues (short maybe, idk), and the head unit being a simple AM/FM/CD/AUX radio, I was considering options for a bit of an upgrade. I've narrowed it down to three optional builds. If you've done any of these, or have some insight on any of them, post up and let's here your opinions.

Option One: Double-DIN DVD (or NAV) Head Unit.

There are many on the market that look good, and allow for a bit of continued audio upgrades. I like how they sit in the spot with a sort of concaved look to them. Easy to install, and allows for a bit of entertainment for meets/shows.

Option Two: Single-DIN with Triple Gauge Cluster.

Perfect location for mounting three gauges for SC upgrade. Flows and has a solid look to it. Single-DIN units still provide excellent audio for entertainment. Gauges are visible and out of eye-glare level.

Option Three: Some kind of mounting system that automatically connects your tablet securely to the dash, provides power and can connect to speakers, box, amp.

Is removable like a Single-DIN faceplate. Can be used in place of a Double-DIN DVD/NAV unit. Has all the features you could want in one device: Video, MP3, Pandora, Internet, YouTube, apps, NAV, blutooth.

My gearhead side says go with option two with gauges, because I like to monitor every aspect of my car's performance, especially on the fly. However, my commuter side says option one for the entertainment. And last but not least, my creative side screams be different and challenge your mind with option three.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Option one is the most aesthetically pleasing by far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a solution to you concaved look. Check out this head unit. It does not come with navigation, If nav is not a required. Kenwood DDX672BH, it has an adjustable face that tilts to allow you to change to viewing angle. Has Bluetooth, Hd radio and all the bells and whistles but no nav, Also can be found on Amazon for about 150$ less than crutch field or Kenwood website. Just an idea.

Also I agree with him ^ aesthetically pleasing is best way to go in my opinion. gauges are a pain to hook up properly and are not really necessary unless your running a boost gauge other wise they look out of place in most car's.

Your third option would be quite difficult, there have been many ipad's installed in cars and it can be done on a cobalt with the newer smaller ipad air, and ipad mini. It is not an easy install requiring fabrication of dash trim, as well as a way to mount it securely in the vehicle. But it can be done if you have the time/money. Good luck

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Definitely option one. Get the ZZP triple pod A-pillar. It uses the factory grain and color, so it looks like it came that way. That way, you can monitor your gauges using your peripheral vision, or a quick glance over, while keeping your head up. I wouldn't have my gauges in any other spot - other than maybe adding one or two to the gauge cluster (if I needed more).

Double-DIN touchscreens by far look the cleanest in these cars, that's my plan here in the near future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.