Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buy a 2.4L intake manifold for my 2.2L. There is an intake manifold on gmpartsdirect.com and there is one on crateenginedepot.com. The question is there any difference between the 2? One big difference is there is in the price. The crate engine depot manifold is about $120 more then the one from gm parts direct. I have tried searching to see if this has been discussed with no luck. Which one would you prefer? I have some plans that I am working on and I won't to make sure I am getting the best bang for my buck.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The one on CED has everything you need since you have an 06. The one on GMPD is only the mani itself. If you want to piece it together, you can save a few bucks buying it on GMPD or GMPartsOnline.net. Otherwise, you're better off just getting it from CED since it has everything you need.

If you had an 07+ then you could get away with the mani itself and a couple other things (gaskets, hose, and whatever) and you'd be fine.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one on CED has everything you need since you have an 06. The one on GMPD is only the mani itself. If you want to piece it together, you can save a few bucks buying it on GMPD or GMPartsOnline.net. Otherwise, you're better off just getting it from CED since it has everything you need.

If you had an 07+ then you could get away with the mani itself and a couple other things (gaskets, hose, and whatever) and you'd be fine.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
If you need, I can get you a list of all the things you would need to piece together the kit. You are doing the 2.4 TB also right? You don't need to buy CED's kit because you will not need the adapter plate.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you need, I can get you a list of all the things you would need to piece together the kit. You are doing the 2.4 TB also right? You don't need to buy CED's kit because you will not need the adapter plate.
Yeah that would be cool. I want to do it right, but if I can do it right for less I'm all for it, thanks and yes I am doing the 2.4 TB as well.

·
Registered
720 Posts
He has an 06...only 07 and newer don't need the adapter plate.

EDIT: I suppose technically the 05-06 don't need them, but it makes it easier.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The CED kit is OK but you can piece it together cheaper

2.4 Manifold Part # - 12587878
PCV Seal Part # - 12589516

Now you only need these if you are doing the TB swap also..
06 2.4 Throttle body Part # - 12580195. (8 pin harness, will fit 05/06's)
06-07 gasket Part # - 12600729.

As for the extended brake booster hose, Just go to autozone or something and get about 2.5 feet of 1/2" heater hose and some small hose clamps.

On the 07+ Balts you can reuse all intake seals expect the center one (the PCV seal also known as the crankcase ventilation seal)....so you have to have that seal (part number above)....the actual "intake" and throttle body seals fit perfect....now as for the MAP sensor, You have to bore the hole to about 1/2" (a little bit less) so that the MAP sensor will fit properly.....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wouldn't he need a tune for the TB if he did it? and I don't think there was an 05 2.4L
Yes I would, he is only referring to parts so that I can put the 2.4l TB on my 2.2l.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So this kit whats it supposed to do on the 2.2s.. obviously more air....and why do you need a tune for it? Sorry i am thinkin about doing this swap on my girlfriends cobalt.

What are the Pros and Cons of it?
And DOes the Crate Engine Depot Kit come with everything?

·
Registered
720 Posts
It doesn't do anything on a 2.4...it's the stock 2.4 intake manifold...it's an upgrade for 2.2's.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
So this kit whats it supposed to do on the 2.4s.. obviously more air....and why do you need a tune for it? Sorry i am thinkin about doing this swap on my girlfriends cobalt.

What are the Pros and Cons of it?
And Does the Crate Engine Depot Kit come with everything?
Yep its just a upgrade for the 2.2's. and yes the kit does come with everything, but you can piece it together for about 80 bucks cheaper

The manifold is just a bigger manifold. Therefore better flow. there is some slight low end torque loss, but after 4K rpm you make a good little bit more power. Check out the dyno graph in the CED kit ad page.

The tune is only needed if you swap the throttle body also. The Intake manifold runs fine with the stock tune.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry I made a Typo. I Know its an upgrade For the 2.2. I was probably thinking of what i was going to say next or something later on in the question.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.