Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on amazon was wondering if it would work on my 05 ls if I didn't have the remote start.
I have access to a tech 2 if I need it

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Can't see the link.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Negative, unless you also install the remote starter...this little interface works in-unison with your vehicle's electronics to interrupt security during remote start sequence. I tried with my 06 Colorado and...no can do. Better option = have the remote start kit installed and then you get the best of both worlds (security bypass & keyless starting)...JMO.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Iceman is correct I think. My 2010 2LT came with remote start capabiity, but AFAIK it's not installed in the other Cobalts.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Okay let me clear something up here, remote start was a convenience package even in 05. You can retrofit an 05 with this option if it has original remote door lock option by changing the RKE module under the dash pad and changing FOBs from 22733523 to 22733524. Then you have to enable the remote start option in the BCM via TechII and program the new RKE to open and lock the doors. If you don't have remote door locks the process is way to demanding and is practically not feasible. Doable but you'd have to run harness for doors,RKE plus install RKE antenna in pillar, just not easy.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I did an Impala the other day, an 08 if I remember. Piece of cake but in newer cars GM removed the enable menu. Now if you want to get it done only GM can do it for a modest fee of $485. Unless you have a TIS license ($800 a year). Then you can access the GM server and download the password to add this menu.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Okay let me clear something up here, remote start was a convenience package even in 05. You can retrofit an 05 with this option if it has original remote door lock option by changing the RKE module under the dash pad and changing FOBs from 22733523 to 22733524. Then you have to enable the remote start option in the BCM via TechII and program the new RKE to open and lock the doors. If you don't have remote door locks the process is way to demanding and is practically not feasible. Doable but you'd have to run harness for doors,RKE plus install RKE antenna in pillar, just not easy.
Good to know. So, do those of us with 05-06 need a different RKE than the 7-10 model year or are they all the same?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
They all use the same FOB (22733524), but don't know if the RKE is the same through out.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

I know the non remote start RKE changed in 2007 because they ran out of codes. Went from 22733523 to 15252034 FOBs These FOBs look exactly the same with the same circuit board but with a different chip set. 034 is at the right with 090918 added in numbering of board.

·
Registered
589 Posts
ok, I bought some heated leather seats from a salvage yard a few weeks ago. I also got the heated seat wiring to go with it, blah, blah, blah. I snapped a photo of the RPO tag from the vehicle so I would have reference of the options the donor car had in the event I would need to order a replacement seat cover, seat heater module, etc... using the "longroof" pdf from Coby, I am able to see that the donor vehicle(07 LTZ) was also equipped with remote start code AP3. I was able to plug in that vehicles VIN into gmpartsgiant.com and see the replacement RKE module part number is: **912630 with fobs part number: **733524

It appears the RKE module is the same in an LS, LTZ, SS, etc... for the 07 model year. I checked other trim levels but there isn't more than one RKE module listed (eg. with remote start, without remote start)

I plugged in my VIN form my 05 LS with factory keyless remote and this is the RKE module that came up. part number: **994227

Its the same situation as the 07 model year. Meaning its the same module across all trim levels.

So, I'm wondering if either
A : swapping to the remote start transmitters and programming the RKE through BCM and enabling remote start through BCM will enable remote start for my 05
or
B : using the RKE from an 07 model year in an 05 and then swapping remotes, programming, etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
**994227 is 21994227 and **912630 is 15912630

AU0 is Remote keyless entry without start so yes AP3 is remote start option. AP7 is remote start passive ( I still don't know the difference)

If you take the module from the donor car with it's remote and exchange the RKEs it should work when you enable remote start. RKE modules do not have to be mated to the "BCM". BCM just sees the information via HSGMLan.

If you have TPMS though make sure the RKE from donor car supports these.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks for the info. I drove 3 hours to that salvage yard. I messaged the guys over there and they're checking to see of they have the module and remotes still. they want $75 for both

I can get the module brand new for $71.72 and a couple new remotes from flea bay for around $20. I may as well buy new parts.

BUT...Something else needed is a new hood latch with ajar switch (part# **210317 which was replaced by part #**755040)...which also means I'd need harness wiring for that switch to work.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Your car might already have the hood switch, some cars came with it already pre-installed. The Impala I did last week already had it.

If you order all new parts you will need a Tech 2 to program the remotes to the RKE.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Or you could hunt down that donor car for the hood sensor.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Or you could hunt down that donor car for the hood sensor.
I'm on it :) I'm a nut job about options. For some reason, I gotta do things OEM. Even though I know there is better tech out there.

I still dont know if this will even work in my 05. The computer systems were upgraded after '06 right? I could go through all this trouble and still not have it all work.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
PCM was changed to ECM but BCM is the same. RKE module comunicates with BCM.

·
Registered
589 Posts
ok. good to know! If i go down this route, I may bother you for assistance with the BCM connector locations for that hood switch. :) I promise, I'll do a "how-to" for this mod. I'm still kicking myself for not doing one for the seat heater install

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I'm always ready to learn more. Never think you bother me with your questions and if you do I will say so. I'm too young to stop learning yet. Maybe when I turn 100.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.