Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Workers creating a second shift have returned to work at GM's Lordstown, Ohio plant. Jesse Russell reports.

One thousand fifty laid off workers have returned to work at a General Motors plant in Lordstown. Those workers will make up a second shift at the plant as GM prepares for the launch of the Chevrolet Cruze in April of 2010. The addition of the second shift follows the plant reopening in August. The United Auto Workers is hoping that the Cruze sells well enough so a third shift can eventually be added bringing back most of the laid off workers at the plant.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
well atleast 1050 ppl got their jobs back, but they won't be getting a sale with me. Not a fan of the cruze. Specially a 1.4T engine...weird. seems to lack HP. maybe they'll do like with the cobalt and upgrade it almost every year.

·
Registered
978 Posts
yeah !! for the workers getting there job back . but i won't buy one either . im keeping the balt. im a lifer(lol) (sold my 69 firebird to get the balt ) lol im getting another in a few years .not a cruize

·
Registered
67 Posts
With Cruze Coming, GM Plans 3-week Shutdown

As part of process of launching the new Chevy Cruze, the General Motors plant in Lordstown will shut down for three weeks in March and April.

The plant's currently building the Chevy Cobalt, and production of the Cobalt will stop starting the week of March 1, again for a week beginning March 15 and also the week of April 19.

Around 3,400 workers at the assembly and fabricating plants will be affected.

The shutdowns are necessary to adjust Cobalt stockpiles so that as few as possible are on dealer lots when the Cruze is launched.
With Cruze Coming, GM Plans 3-week Shutdown - WKBN - 27 First News - Local News - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana, Ohio - Sharon, Pennsylvania

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think the Cruze is an excellent car, and though it may not have the sporty appeal that a Cobalt does, or the performance, it is exactly the car GM needs to be making right now. I adore the interior, and we have needed a six speed in FWD cars for a long time. Cobalt had too much of a cheap, rental car feeling. An image GM needed to get rid of. Alot like the Neon.

I love the Cobalt, but if the decision to buy had come down to a nicer interior, I would have gone with a 2009 WRX hatch over my SS.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Talked to my "Mole"..... he said....

"Build out (final production) is usually end of June. We were told 2 weeks off in March, 1 week in April and Cobalt build out will be the end of June,,, subject to change. 2 week shutdown (maybe 3) in July then start we start Cruze. GM wants a 3rd shift in place before full production. GM doesn't want to get caught with Cobalts left on lot when Cruze comes out. A lot of people asking to put orders in already. Waiting for Cruze instead of buying Cobalts."

And that's the way it is!! LOL

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
i got to see the cruze in person so haha i win jk its a really nice car, but ive said it before and ill say it again, the cruze needs the 2.2 and if they come out with an SS, it better have the 2.0T LNF! lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thats great news, I hope GM picks up, and I hope GM gives the company I work for more contracts to produce parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.