Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to save as much money as i can on this but also not have to go through to much work to install it.

I want to have the vacuum sound that it does would be AWESOME if i could get some links either off ebay or anyway where i could buy what i need

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K&N and Injen are probably the best two brands. AEM is up there two, but they're all pretty much the same.

I bought the Injen because you could use it as both a CAI and as a SRI.
but arnt all those hitting the like 200 + mark? im sure there are cheaper ways of doing things

·
Registered
922 Posts
here is the link to the ZZP intake tube... $100
ZZPerformance - 2.2/2.4L High Flow Intake Tube #ZZ-LE5-HFINTK

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

If you want any of the other one's such as the K&N, Injen, or AEM, you can search them on ebay, most likely to find a better price there then alot of the performance sites... you also have the cheap no name ebay itakes as well. I don't know how they compair to the name brand one, I'm just putting that out there.

Also if your looking for the sound, I'd suggest K&N or Injen. Injen because you have the option of using it as short ram or a CAI. I have the AEM in my LS, and it has a minor fitment issue and rubs on the hole that it goes down into behind the bumper....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Injen because you have the option of using it as short ram or a CAI

what should i be searching for on ebay to make sure this fits right and also can you explain the differnece between short ram and cai?

·
Registered
922 Posts
CAI - Cold air intake - Takes cooler air from outside the engine bay. It's really only semi functional, unless you have an opening that lets the cooler air in. On our cars the CAI is routed up to where the stock air box is then it goes down through a hole and the filter is behind the bumper. Our cars don't really allow any extra airflow to the filter. It basically uses the cooler air that is further from the engine. You do have to be mindful of standing water and puddles though, since the intake is closer the the ground it can suck up some water if it is deep enough.

Short Ram - basically more or a warm air intake, unless you have functional short ram air hood. the tube is shorter, and doesn't go down through the fender. the filter basically sits where the stock airbox is.

I'm going to find a few pictures to show you.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Cold air intake - notice how it goes from the throttle body to where the stock airbox was then down under the head light and behind the bumper.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Short Ram- the filter sits where the stock airbox was.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
awww so CAT are normally the longer tubing ones correct? also do they make a huge difference? and i live in indiana so like the winters are really bad with snow would that still be fine with a CAT? also thank you for being so helpful im learning alot of this forum and everyone is so nice :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've had my CAI on for a few years, and never had any issues, but I know not to take my car through water. As for the snow, it shouldn't be an issue, since the filteris enclosed by the fender well and the bumper. Unless you rip that off some how, there is little reason to be concerned. As far how much of a difference there is between the two, I'm not sure. At our power levels a few degrees isn't going to make whole lot difference I think. You could go with Injen and test it out yourself thought since the injen can be used as both. Also I think the Fujita intake can be used as both too.

·
Registered
922 Posts
1 - would this work "In Stock" Injen SP Cold Air Intake Kit 05 10 Chevy Cobalt 2 2L 2 4L SS Black | eBay i believe it can be either or depending our i put it in

2 - how much water are we talking cuz it does rain quite alot in indiana too espically during fall and spring times
1. yes that injen intake is the one we said will work as both.

2. If your using it as a CAI, don't drive through standing water, such as big puddles, lakes, ponds, oceans, or rivers.

the best thing about the Injen is you can use it as both... in the summer you can use it as a CAI, and if your concerned with the water in spring and fall you can use it as a short ram.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sweet i think imma go ahead an order it now then! thanks for all the help i love this site.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
to install it this way as a CAT do i need to take the panel off the car or can it be done without doing that like show in the pic

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I've gone two winters using my Injen as a CAI. Not a single issue so far.

Puddles aren't really a problem, but I avoid them where I can just to be safe.

You could always install a hydroshield.

·
Registered
922 Posts
to install it this way as a CAT do i need to take the panel off the car or can it be done without doing that like show in the pic
No, you can pull the headlight, and headlight housing bracket out and gain access to the area needed to install the it as CAI.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
When I was looking at how-to's, it was recommended to remove the whole front bumper. I thought that was much too excessive, so I unbolted the FR corner and peeled it back a little. Same with the splash guard, no need to completely remove it. The job can be a pain if you're like me and get impatient too quickly. Just keep calm and work at a relaxed pace. You'll see it really isn't that hard at all.

Hydroshield? Looks like it'll strangle your airflow to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Hydroshield? Looks like it'll strangle your airflow to me.
The ad says 100% non restrictive, as long as it's kept clean I suppose. Just made of water reppellant material.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if i choose to do the one that doesnt hide behind the headlight what would be the cons of it and would i notice a difference?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.