Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been looking around for a good drop on a cobalt lt coupe but i keep finding cobalt SS and ls sedans...are there any coupes that have lowering springs that are LT and LS if there are no differences. And a picture would be nice to go along with it

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
@Parthros and myself have SSC/CM springs - if you want one of the better-handling springs, but a bit more of a drop than the top-handling ones, those are the springs to get.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
All cobalts use the same springs, doesn't matter coupe or sedan, ls Lt or ss. I love my yyz but they aren't that low and a bit pricey if you don't really care about having the best handling springs haha. How low do you want to go and how important is handling to you?

·
Registered
949 Posts
@Parthros and myself have SSC/CM springs - if you want one of the better-handling springs, but a bit more of a drop than the top-handling ones, those are the springs to get.
I'll back this up 100%. The ride is still plenty comfortable, while cornering performance was noticeably improved. I'd be surprised if you found better trade off between performance and comfort a comparable price.

YYZ's will handle better, and are probably plenty comfortable, but they cost quite a bit more, and don't give a very big drop. So if you want a drop, YYZ's probably not the way to go.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All cobalts use the same springs, doesn't matter coupe or sedan, ls Lt or ss. I love my yyz but they aren't that low and a bit pricey if you don't really care about having the best handling springs haha. How low do you want to go and how important is handling to you?
Low enough where i dont see so much wheel gap but still good handling as stock maybe better if possible

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

I'll back this up 100%. The ride is still plenty comfortable, while cornering performance was noticeably improved. I'd be surprised if you found better trade off between performance and comfort a comparable price.

YYZ's will handle better, and are probably plenty comfortable, but they cost quite a bit more, and don't give a very big drop. So if you want a drop, YYZ's probably not the way to go.
How low did it drop your car? and i was currently looking at Eibach Pro-kit Lowering springs because they drop to about 1.6 in the front and 1.8 in the back i dont think i want more than that either because one guy told me i dont really need to change my shocks unless it goes lower than 2 inches which i dont have money for replacing one at the moment if it gets blown

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
You'll need to change your shocks if you lower the car at all - you significantly reduce the lifespan of stock (FE1) shocks/struts.

The common (and cheap) upgrade is to go with '08+ SS/TC FE5 struts/shocks which handle the lowering springs just fine, and handle absolutely fantastic, as they were tuned by GM on Nuerburgring.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll need to change your shocks if you lower the car at all - you significantly reduce the lifespan of stock (FE1) shocks/struts.

The common (and cheap) upgrade is to go with '08+ SS/TC FE5 struts/shocks which handle the lowering springs just fine, and handle absolutely fantastic, as they were tuned by GM on Nuerburgring.
really? do you have a link or website i can go on that sells them or maybe one that you went to buy those shocks? that would be so helpful

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Also how long could my stock shocks last on the new lowered springs before they are damaged or destroyed?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
They are the oem shocks and struts on all 08-10 turbocharged cobalts, can get them on rockauto or Amazon for pretty cheap usually.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

They might last a little while, impossible to say and it depends on how good they are currently. I think I spent like 200 bucks total for all 4 shipped

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

My shocks and struts were almost completely junk though at 60k miles when I changed them, if you have relatively low miles on them you might be able to get away with running them for a little while but if they are getting up there in miles I just don't see them holding up very long

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are the oem shocks and struts on all 08-10 turbocharged cobalts, can get them on rockauto or Amazon for pretty cheap usually.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

They might last a little while, impossible to say and it depends on how good they are currently. I think I spent like 200 bucks total for all 4 shipped

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

My shocks and struts were almost completely junk though at 60k miles when I changed them, if you have relatively low miles on them you might be able to get away with running them for a little while but if they are getting up there in miles I just don't see them holding up very long
Well considering mine has 117,000 miles almost 118,000 and when i drove it for 1,000 miles the clutch was blown and no reports of the prevoius owners changing anything to the car except oil change.... i would assume not even a mile and my cobalt isn't turbocharged. unless they fit whether or not i have a turbo or not

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I wouldn't bother with even running them with lowering springs.

The struts/shocks fit all Cobalts without issue.

Cobalt FE5 Struts and Shock Pkg FE5-S
after this week i can buy 2 front struts for $196 at rockauto and they are Fe5 there the ACDELCO 506683, and ACDELCO 506684 including shipping but cant find the rear shocks so....would 2 be fine since this is my daily driver? i highly doubt it just curious though

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
No, you'll want the full package.

560582 should be the part number for the rear shocks - they're the same for either side.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, you'll want the full package.

560582 should be the part number for the rear shocks - they're the same for either side.
i couldt find it at rock auto so i think ill just buy it at CED and get the rear ones for $128 for 2

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Really? I just found them on Rock Auto for about $48 a piece, they're $55 on Amazon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really? I just found them on Rock Auto for about $48 a piece, they're $55 on Amazon.
what category are you looking under for rock auto? i looked under shocks for the rear ones

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Also would i need any strut mounts are bolt or nuts to go along with the shocks and struts or are they fine by themselves with the stock ones

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
2008 > Cobalt > 2.0L Turbocharged > Suspension > Shock Absorber > OE Ride Quality.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2008 > Cobalt > 2.0L Turbocharged > Suspension > Shock Absorber > OE Ride Quality.
found it. do they still work on mine even thous min isnt turbocharged or 2008? also is FE3 any good? SACHS 030871 Super Touring Info
Rear; w/ FE3 Sport & FE5 Performance Suspension; Monotube?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Go with ac Delco fe5, and yes they will still work on your car, they mount exactly the same

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Go with ac Delco fe5, and yes they will still work on your car, they mount exactly the same
This. Use only the Delco FE5s from 2008+.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This. Use only the Delco FE5s from 2008+.
alright, so 2008 turbo can still fit 2010 non turbo. and i did find it all to be 293 which is cheaper than how i would've done it saved myself 40 bucks :D and thanks all for helping me out:smile2:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.