Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
$800 is way too much.

You do not need new front mounts unless yours are worn badly. It'd probably make the job a bit easier if you got them though. You could take the mounts, front springs, and struts to a shop and have them assemble them. That way, no spring compressor would be needed. Just direct bolt in at that point.

You'll need a spring compressor, a ratchet set and a torque wrench (just to be safe; Walmart has them fairly cheap). Mounts attach directly to the top of the struts. When the car's jacked up, and there's no load on the rear springs, you can get them out relatively easily compressing them by hand. Getting the rubber mount off can be a little difficult, but not impossible. Here's a couple of pretty good videos of what needs to be done:

How To Install Replace Front Strut and Spring Chevy Cobalt Pontiac G5 05-10 1AAuto.com - YouTube

How to replace Shock Absorbers on a Chevy Cobalt - YouTube

Replace Rear Coil Springs - Chevy Cobalt - YouTube
ok thanks parthos :D, so the rear springs just go right in no need for compression, and i also think i see insulators or something in the rear springs..will i need a new one as well and is there a certain kind of mount and insulator i need for my balt? i found some at rockauto but they looked different

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Right, they get compressed when you lift the axle back up to bolt in the shocks. You just take those insulators out of the stock springs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Right, they get compressed when you lift the axle back up to bolt in the shocks. You just take those insulators out of the stock springs.
alright thanks, but what kind of mounts should i get there are different kinds i found. and i guess this is a stupid question but is it pointless to keep my insulators after i take them out or just throw them in the trash or seomthing

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I just reused my stock insulators, you don't need to buy anything new.

Reactions: Parthros

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
ok cool thanks guys ill let yall know if i end up doing it myself or getting someone else cheaper to do it, and also i well try and take a before and after picture

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

oh quick question if i happen to do it myself can i drive like 25 miles without an alignment

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Sure - it won't be off too badly. I'd just avoid freeways.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Shoot, you should actually be driving a bit before getting an alignment to try to get the springs to settle a bit. If you get it aligned immediately, once the springs settle, the alignment might get slightly off.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

If you get the alignment done at a Firestone, they offer a free 6 month warranty on the alignment. Get it done, then drive like 1K miles, and have it checked (and realigned if needed) for free.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I do all my own alignments haha, any time I actually take a vehicle anywhere the printout shows everything within spec but it will still pull all over the place..

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well, for those of us without the tools and know-how, we just have to hope that the shop does it right! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Don't really take much for tools haha, I've done probably 10 alignments this year between my own vehicles and other peoples

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Don't really take much for tools haha, I've done probably 10 alignments this year between my own vehicles and other peoples
wow thats alot...i bet to you its like second nature by then haha :D

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

Shoot, you should actually be driving a bit before getting an alignment to try to get the springs to settle a bit. If you get it aligned immediately, once the springs settle, the alignment might get slightly off.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

If you get the alignment done at a Firestone, they offer a free 6 month warranty on the alignment. Get it done, then drive like 1K miles, and have it checked (and realigned if needed) for free.
and thanks for that parthos i think there is a firestone abut 15 miles away from me and to be honest i would have never guessed to go there for alignment and get a 6 month warranty :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
its really not difficult and i don't use any fancy tools to do it haha, just a 6 foot level and a tape measure and a piece of string with a weight on it... sure, its not perfect but i can adjust it to drive however i want and it doesn't take very long. no unusual tire wear and it drives down the road perfectly straight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
its really not difficult and i don't use any fancy tools to do it haha, just a 6 foot level and a tape measure and a piece of string with a weight on it... sure, its not perfect but i can adjust it to drive however i want and it doesn't take very long. no unusual tire wear and it drives down the road perfectly straight.
Lol when i saw you say a piece of string i was like yep nothin really fancy abou that ? but yeah i want to get to the point where i can start doing mods to my car by myself (except styling and paint) to the point where i can maybe share my knowledge as well

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I don't know how accurate it is but I can drive over a mile down a straight road without touching the steering wheel so I guess I did something right haha, it's all about just trying to find the right angles to have the camber and toe at.. the last time I did an alignment on my durango I just eyeballed it and it's perfect haha, that was almost 10k miles ago and no unusual wear

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I don't know how accurate it is but I can drive over a mile down a straight road without touching the steering wheel so I guess I did something right haha, it's all about just trying to find the right angles to have the camber and toe at.. the last time I did an alignment on my durango I just eyeballed it and it's perfect haha, that was almost 10k miles ago and no unusual wear
Luckyyyy i cant eyeball stuff like that but i think over a mile without touching the wheel is definatly and improvement haha

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I couldn't at first either but I've done it plenty of times over the years on durangos and I could pretty much do it by feel alone at this point haha, and obviously I don't drive without at least one hand on the wheel but I have tested it out a time or two

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Just curoius what do you think a price range would be to get a shop to assemble the front struts and springs so i can come by and pick them up? And install myself? Just curious if anyone has done it before and what they were charged

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Most service shops will do it for super cheap. Like $50 max. I've heard more like $25. It'll take them literally 5 minutes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Most service shops will do it for super cheap. Like $50 max. I've heard more like $25. It'll take them literally 5 minutes.
Ok thanks hopefully i wont be overpriced for something like that...again ?

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.