Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I am running 225/40/18 NITTO NT555s. They're not bad, and its probably time to rotate them. For general daily driving they're a decent summer tire. Large contact patches for good grip in warm weather. I have no grip when its cold, however.

I am looking for a tire with larger contact patches in a 235/40/18 size. Something transferable from street to track in dry weather. I do not care how they perform on wet roads, in the snow, ride comfort or quietness. Strictly interested in a sticky tire with good grip that won't spin excessively when I launch. The tires I have now do nothing but spin when I launch in 1st, regardless of the temperature.

I have looked at performance tires manufactured by several different brands but I am finding that a lot of DOT/Competition tires are only made 285 and up.

Any suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Bullybully

·
Say What again!
6,106 Posts
Well, are we talking drag-racing, or road racing?

Slicks or Drag Radials will be your best bet for sheer straight-line grip, but don't expect them to do you any wonders around a turny course.

Likewise, track tires generally aren't good at straight line launching, due to rigid sidewall structure.

Your best bet is to look on Tire Rack in the size you'd like in the ultra high/max/extreme performance summer tire catagory. They're not comp tires, but they're your best bet pretty much for street/track performance (though biased towards turns).

If you're looking for straight line slicks or drag radials - you may be better off buying a pair of smaller rims and getting something with more sidewall - making the launch that much better due to the squish of the sidewalls.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Buy BFGoodrich G-force Super Sport. They are not a very expensive tire. I have them on my Camaro, And they grip like nothing Ive ever tried before. I used to have goodyear eagle RSA's on my car and I could do burnouts no problem with those, But with these BFG's I have to really try hard just to spin the tires. They wouldnt handle well at all in snow but you said you only want a summer performance tire.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I've had good experiences with Falken 452s and Toyo Proxes

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.