Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to say good morning to everyone i've been fallowing this site for a long long time and for some reason never made a post... or a log in lol anyways im a Aircraft Mechanic by trade but i own a 2008 chevy cobalt LS 2.2L ive owned it its whole life well tomorrow i have to do a timing chain replacement on it, if anyone has any advice i would love to hear it

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No but I've helped a buddy do his. Not complicated if you follow the instructions. Most important is having the engine at piston one TDC on compression stroke before taking anything apart.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

And take plenty of pictures, in a pinch they sometimes can help out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thats what ive been seeing is alot of guys are missing that whats the best sure fire way to make sure #1 is a TDC on compression just go by the alignment marks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Take your time you'll do good. No short cuts to do this. Did you get a new tensioner?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i ordered the new tensioner sprockets guides chain oiler the whole 9 yards i had a oil leak i didn't catch and well it ran empty for about 10 mins..... ended up i cracked the pan on my way home from work and i didnt drive it for a few days and with the rain i never even noticed the spot on the ground fixed the pan i can hear a chain slap and a loud tick no knock codes at least i hope this is all it is ill be looking at the lifters and rockers while im in there

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

ok one more dumb dumb question i just had to put new oil in it do i need to drain it again or should i be ok i know rule of thumb is any major eng work change the oil but im hopin i can keep it in there

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just cover your valve train while working and you should be good!

·
Registered
10 Posts
just a quick update did the timing chain yesterday wasnt bad at all hardest part was dealing with the engine mount and my valve cover falling off my work bench and getting a hole in it :embarrest: thank again Coby7 for all your help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.