Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am selling my 1st generation projectors and building a pair of retrofits. I got an extra set of stock headlights for $30 locally couldnt of passed it up.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/sale-car-related-only/21627-1st-generation-projectors-w-hids-sale.html

i began my build today by taking the lens off by putting the housings in the oven. I found that 210 degrees for 12 minutes worked the best for heating up the adhesive. I then took the plastic pieces and used waterproof or very fine sandpaper to scratch up or rough up the plastic so that the primer would adhere. Taped up the headlights and used rust-oleum plastic primer to ensure a good finish with the paint for the headlights do the job right the first time never do it again. Buying the retrofits later this week or after someone buys my projectors. Tell me what you think so far!

painting the plastics tomorrow with krylon fusion satin black will update with pictures tomorrow

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Cool, more retros :D so you haven't bought the projectors yet? Keep pics coming

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not yet waiting for someone to buy my current 1st generation projectors, going to paint the plastics black as soon as i get more spray paint

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
you taped off the edges like me, nice! i always get compliments on my headlights for that minor detail. i'm sure they'll come out great.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
looks good dude.
if you can legitly do this and they wont fog than you can build mine.
but i wana make sure u seal em up good and all that

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just painted outside and the mf'ers straight up orange peeled on me so i have to wait for them to dry and do some serious sanding =-(

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
what orange peeled?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the spray is all cracked and looks like peels of oranges because i sprayed outside and the wind got to it plus it might of been too cold this morning

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
^wait until there is no wind and low humidity (less than 60%) you don't have a garage or something you can do it in? just lay some old sheets or wood panels on the floor?

Paint is all in the prep and for rattle can, the weather matters too. A little bit of wind is alright, but make sure it's not humid too. I've never had this problem, but then again, I always wait for ideal conditions to paint, so that I dont have to do stuff over again. I hate doing stuff twice!!! good luck man.

BTW I suggest looking at theretrofitsource for a retro kit, they have amazing stuff for the price and really good customer service.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i got anxious and sprayed too heavy and the weather conditions were the best, just got home from work then doing calc work for class tomorrow but will be in the garage late tonight sanding them both down and being patient tomorrow will post pics of my tradegy and before and after pics

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

how do i prevent this from happening again i am going to have to sand and use mineral spirits to get the paint all off

any suggestions on the paint other than krylon fusion satin black?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i would suggest hitting it with sandpaper (gradually working to finer grits)..

trust me my headlights looked like this when i got them; they were extremely rough textured

after sanding which took probably 10-15 minutes per light, they came out great. just take your time and do it right

i would keep with the same paint because you know it will be compatible. if you switch you might run into issues with orange peel again. just make sure you have decent conditions to paint in next time and you should be fine

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
either wait and do it inside a garage or sutn or wait till spring
im waiting till spring to nightshade my sidemarkers i just got because i wana do it outside and the temp now is semi cold

·
Registered
6 Posts
What projectors are you going with for the new retro?

I've been looking into the Moriomoto Mini H1's, they have amazing output and they're a snap to install.

·
Registered
867 Posts
i was thinkin humidity had something to do with the cracking
and or
the primer you used was not able to bond with the new paint
or you used some type of cleaner on them and the paint didnt adhere to that

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.