Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 04 mazdaspeed miata a couple weeks ago :D Absolutely fricken love it!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Nice one!

An 04 up here would already be at the crusher.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Not bad.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a bit pricey at 10 grand, but it only has 44000 miles on it, so it would be a shame to see a car like this at the crusher :(.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You can't be very tall

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 5/7 but my coworker is over 6 foot and he was able to drive it just fine. Getting in and out kinda sux but once you're in it is roomy enough

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I drove a 1994ish one and I'm 6'4" and I had to sit on the head rest and slide down the seat and then roll out on my hands and knees to get out

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know how many were actually made, but I know they were only made for like 2 years. But I have heard a couple people mention how rare they are since I picked her up.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

There were 2 on craigslist when I bought this one. The other one looked a little better (paint still looked good and had aftermarket wheels) but it was well over 100,000 miles and they wanted like 8 grand for it. This one was 10 grand but only had 44000 miles, was fully stock, and had a lot of recent maintenance done to it including a new soft top. The paint isn't great, the radiator needed replacing, and the clutch needs replacing as well, but I still felt better spending more for the low miles.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

I just looked it up and what I read says that they were going to build 4000 a year until there was a fire at the factory and they suspended production.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Wow! Clutch needs replacing @44k. Wow

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don't know how many were actually made, but I know they were only made for like 2 years. But I have heard a couple people mention how rare they are since I picked her up.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

There were 2 on craigslist when I bought this one. The other one looked a little better (paint still looked good and had aftermarket wheels) but it was well over 100,000 miles and they wanted like 8 grand for it. This one was 10 grand but only had 44000 miles, was fully stock, and had a lot of recent maintenance done to it including a new soft top. The paint isn't great, the radiator needed replacing, and the clutch needs replacing as well, but I still felt better spending more for the low miles.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

I just looked it up and what I read says that they were going to build 4000 a year until there was a fire at the factory and they suspended production.
I thought I remembered hearing about turbo Miatas being rare. That's pretty cool you were able to get a hold of one!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Looks like at the time those were being made, the turbo Miata made 36 hp more than its naturally aspirated sister. So, even a modern Miata is making less power than the 178 hp the turbo ones made when they were new.

Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata - Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Of course, it's very possible to make over 200 whp with an aftermarket turbo setup. The guy from Car Throttle did it with an NA Miata.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its more like 150ish to the wheels. Flyin miata sells a kit that can get you reliably to 200 hp to the wheels with the stock turbo and ecu

·
Registered
134 Posts
See mazda got the stock suspension right. I just can never wrap my head atound why cobalt suspension is si high like its gonna be a FWD off roading vehicle. But anyway just curoius if you bought it in manual or auto?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.