Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the best lowering spring possible since I can't afford coilovers. My question to all of you is once I get them installed should I put the new springs on stock struts? or get myself a set of KYB? I don't want to order yet till I see what's the best option and try to save money since am scrappin and savin'. sigh... I need a better good paying job.

·
Registered
110 Posts
kyb fe5 upgrade. They are wayyy stiffer than the fe1s, but not bad.
fe3s are even a nice median. I have the fe3s on my base ion with lsj springs and love em.

fe5s with ssc springs on the redline, and she handles like a dream

·
Registered
949 Posts
Actually, the ACDelco (OEM from the Cobalt SS/TC) FE5 shocks and struts are a really good setup. Plus, they're relatively affordable on Amazon. You definitely don't want to leave the FE1 stuff on there since you're lowering it. The shocks and struts just don't react well. I've heard they go bad on you pretty quickly.

I know that MP81 has been on the ACDelco FE5 shocks/struts and SSC springs for quite a while, and he really likes them.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
I know that MP81 has been on the ACDelco FE5 shocks/struts and SSC springs for quite a while, and he really like it.
Yup - 50k or 60k miles. Love 'em!

Definitely FE5 (2008+ SS/TC) struts and shocks are your best bet, short of coilovers. YYZ springs are the best handling ones out there, and I usually recommend SSC for nearly as much handling, but if you desire a slightly larger drop.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm fairly certain you're right, although there is actually a difference in the spring design. From pictures I've seen (I haven't bought my CM springs yet), the SSC springs are not progressive while the rear CM ones are.

Maybe MP81 can identify which ones he received when he bought his SSC springs? :bigsmile:

SSC Springs:

CM Springs:

Imgur Album

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
I have SSC springs, but they have dead coils in the back.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Huh, I wonder if there was some type of SSC V2 that were progressive or something. You got your springs from ZZP, right?

Also, when installed, do the "dead" coils go at the top?

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
No, I bought them used off CSS.net. Only thing I bought new for the suspension setup were the Moog endlinks and the rear FE5 shocks.

And I've tried it both ways - makes no difference. The dead coils will always compress first. Problem I've found with the dead coils, and this is only when it's really cold out (around 32*F or below), is that if you go over a large bump, they'll clunk in the back - my thinking being that there is enough extension that the coils come apart and then clunk back together upon compression back to ride height.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't seem to find the KYB struts / shocks you guys are recommending me. can you post a link to me please? Thanks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
whos recommending kyb? just get the acdelco fe5 struts and shocks. go to rockauto and click chevy, then cobalt, then 09, then ss, suspension, and you will see them.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

if you don't want to upgrade just yet install them on your fe1s just know they will blow probably within 5-10k miles

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
whos recommending kyb? just get the acdelco fe5 struts and shocks. go to rockauto and click chevy, then cobalt, then 09, then ss, suspension, and you will see them.
X2 - nobody was saying KYBs. Definitely the FE5 (SS/TC) stuff. Make sure it is '08+, from the SS/TC. They're better than the SS/SC's ('05-'07) shocks and struts.

·
Registered
949 Posts
kyb fe5 upgrade. They are wayyy stiffer than the fe1s, but not bad.
fe3s are even a nice median. I have the fe3s on my base ion with lsj springs and love em.

fe5s with ssc springs on the redline, and she handles like a dream
I think he's referring to this post.

SlyFox - If you're set on getting KYBs, then you can find them on zzperformance.com. However, I think that most of us would recommend getting the ACDelco FE5s. They cost less, and most people who have driven on both setups seem to think they handle better than the KYBs.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Are they really that much better than the ACDelco FE5s? Especially for the price? I got my FE5 shocks & struts for like $165 total, while the Koni Yellows are going for like $560 on ZZP.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Koni yellow's are way too high for my budget... Okay I got confused all over this KYB, Acdelco FE5 is what I want. Much appreciated,
Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Price difference I would say no unless you want to track your car or do autocross. Benefit to koni yellows is that you can adjust them so ride can be much nicer on the street but can stiffen them right up for the track.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

congrats on the springs tho. They are what I had on my silver cobalt. Makes the car look mean as hell but they absolutely suck if you have a lot of speed bumps. I scrapped soo much because it was soo low. My poor downpipe and zzp resonator had scratches like crazy on them just in the like 2 months of them being installed.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Might want to cut your mud flaps off after you install them. Mine were like 1/2in off the ground.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe down the road later on I'd get better parts but am still young and have a low paying job. I just can afford what I can and I save my money like crazy but every pay period I put alittle towards the balt.

Thanks man, I can't wait to put the B&G's on I'm sure it will look 10 times better than the megan's I have on right now. Yes I plan on taking the mud flaps off since I'll be sitting lower.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.