Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I bought new rims today. I got a set of 17" VOXX wheels and wrapped them in 215/45/17's. Now I'm having braking issues. I'm getting extreme vibration when I apply the brakes. Feels almost like warped rotors:(.. I'm Guessing I either need to have my Comp reflashed for this size or I actually have warped rotors?? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Here's some pics of the wheels on my dirty car LOL...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same problem here...i got sum ebc slotted and spotted rotors and it helped quite a bit for me...plus ceramic pads

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow, drop that monster truck! Wheels look good though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wish they would hurry up and pave my driveway so i can lower mine my bodykit almost drags as it is i actually had to build a new driveway...haha

Forgot to tell ya earlier man but nice rims...gos good with the red...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
put the original wheels back on or you risk ruining your front end.
what makes you say that?????? i have never heard that from all the tire jobs i have ever done.................if it fits, it fits, if not, they wouldnt be on there!

Since when did you need compatible rims?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If you have a vibration in your brakes after installing different wheels make sure you torque the lug nuts (with a calibrated torque wrench) to the factory specs. Just tightening the lug nuts to super tight can cause them to warp.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well it's not my ABS. I don't have ABS LOL. As far as I know anyway. I don't have an ABS light in my cluster when I start the car so according to the manual and my dealer window sticker I don't have it. Might be rotors then.

deviantpitbull added 3 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

If you have a vibration in your brakes after installing different wheels make sure you torque the lug nuts (with a calibrated torque wrench) to the factory specs. Just tightening the lug nuts to super tight can cause them to warp.
I had that happen to me before when I had tires put on my Geo prism a million years ago LOL. They used an impact wrench and warped my rotors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Or snap as mine did on the back...lol...easy to fix though

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well it's not my ABS. I don't have ABS LOL. As far as I know anyway. I don't have an ABS light in my cluster when I start the car so according to the manual and my dealer window sticker I don't have it. Might be rotors then.

deviantpitbull added 3 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

I had that happen to me before when I had tires put on my Geo prism a million years ago LOL. They used an impact wrench and warped my rotors.
are they balanced properly? improper balancing will cause wheel vibes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
rims look good man are they gunmetal

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
rims look good man are they gunmetal
yeah they are gunmetal

deviantpitbull added 1 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

are they balanced properly? improper balancing will cause wheel vibes.
They ride fine, even at highway speeds. Vibration only occurs when the brakes are applied.. I'm ordering a set of Cross drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I guess we will find out soon enough if it is the rotors lol..

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I was getting some vibration with my steelies, and when i put my rims on it got worse. How could they no be compatible?
there is no such thing as "incompatible", they either fit, or they dont. Check your rotors, with new rims, they are usually heavier than the steelies, so any warpage from the rotors would be magnified with the heavier aftermarket wheels

·
Registered
52 Posts
you said you are having braking issues

that's because the wheels are not agreeing with your cars setup. Put the original rims back on and your problem will go away. Otherwise you will be messing up your car.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
cobalts have been known to have bad rotors or getting warped really quick straight from the dealer. most cases i heard about the dealer covered it by either resurfacing them or replacing. more then likely thier cheap asses will resurface them. that could be ur problem. i just ordered rims and tires but even with my steelies right now i get some vibration so your new rims are not necessarily your problem and switching back doesnt really mean it will take it away

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.