Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Gov

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  CodyATE6 
#1 ·
How to either turn the gov off or raise my speed 105 with 4k rpm as its toped out I got just a intake and a chip it's very quick to have a small upgrade.. I need more speed

#3 ·
First, what year is your car. And second, which engine and transmission combination does the car have? You’re a little limited if you’ve got an automatic. And very limited if you’ve got an early model 2.2 engine.

Look into HP Tuners, that seems to be the best option to start being able to tune you car and remove the restriction of the speed governor. Also you say you have a “chip”, but I suspect you mean a tuner, so maybe you’ve already got the HP Tuner software and whatnot.

I really wish I could find someone that was good and could tune the early 05-06 Cobalt 2.2 like mine. I need a little more power to make it a fun daily driver. I’d really like to find an SS sedan though to replace my current Cobalt.

Have a look at ZZP, they have stuff for the SS models and also for the 2.4 cars as well.

#4 ·
2006 2.2l eco
First, what year is your car. And second, which engine and transmission combination does the car have? You’re a little limited if you’ve got an automatic. And very limited if you’ve got an early model 2.2 engine.

Look into HP Tuners, that seems to be the best option to start being able to tune you car and remove the restriction of the speed governor. Also you say you have a “chip”, but I suspect you mean a tuner, so maybe you’ve already got the HP Tuner software and whatnot.

I really wish I could find someone that was good and could tune the early 05-06 Cobalt 2.2 like mine. I need a little more power to make it a fun daily driver. I’d really like to find an SS sedan though to replace my current Cobalt.

Have a look at ZZP, they have stuff for the SS models and also for the 2.4 cars as well.

#7 ·
Ok so you have basically the same car I do. As far as I know, nobody will tune the 2.2 for 05-06 models due to the pcm being difficult to access and recode. Although I have read some people saying they have done it, I’m still researching to see if anyone can do it since ZZP is no longer supporting our early model year Cobalts. If we had the 2.4 we would be fairly easily tuneable.

So what chip do you have because I’d consider modding my computer. I have considered getting an Injen intake, the one that can be used as a cold air or short arm type. Basically it’s the two piece model they make and it looks pretty nice too. I believe I have to extend the MAF sensor wires when installing it which isn’t hard to do. Also I have been looking at different headers and may go for a mid length. Still not sure I’ll even do anything yet since the power gains are minimal on my car since I can’t easily tune it. The header sure couldn’t hurt since the stock exhaust manifold is made like crap. Not sure if you’ve seen the design on the collector, but it’s fairly restrictive.

#10 · (Edited)
LMAO there is no "Chipped" Cobalts making 300 HP get out of here with that BS. That Dyno sheet is all sorts wrong. The Base Cobalt barely made 120 horse power to the wheels. Those chips are all a waste of money they proved that years ago on the Cobaltss.net forum. Also the 05-06 LS has only ever been supported by Trifecta. If you really want to be able modify a Cobalt cut your losses with the 06 base model and an 07 or up 2.2, and 05 and up 2.4. or and 05+ SS.

#11 ·
Bolt ons will give it some pep if you don't mind a CEL.
Im running a custom true 3in intake, ported tb, big runner le5 manifold, 27.4# injectors, mid length header, catted down pipe, 2 5 catback with resonator and muffler.
Once my junkyard gets a 5 speed jbody in I'll grab the harness and pcm to make my own piggyback to try and squeeze more power out of it or boost it.

Blue is right. Chips are worthless. Save your money

#12 ·
I’ve seen those but have also read various reviews about them not doing anything. I don’t think the 2.2 will break 200 hp unless it’s turboed and beefed up. I’d be afraid to blow out the bottom end really. Not made for high rpms. I have even seen one of the chip like devices that gets wired into the MAF sensor, but that seemed a bit sketchy. Not something I’d try since I don’t want to be frying the pcm accidentally if the product goes bad or something. Even the Jet MAFs have a bad rep from going bad. Not sure they’re even worth it without a tune.

Honestly I’d be happy to get anywhere between 180-190 out of this 2.2 but I don’t think it’s going to happen without going with light weight internals and some bumping up of the compression. I'd expect only about 155 at the wheels with everything you could bolt on to it that’s available, that’s being realistic. And probably not without a tune. Could always throw some juice at it though, I think It’d overheat and melt some pistons in the process. Haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.