Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Someone said it best in another thread...." mileage depends on the nut behind the wheel".

I got 36.9 on the first tank. Not bad IMO.

BTW....who's in charge of these emoticons.....and where's the bow tie?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
ya those are way off... some aren't even the most fuel efficient cars that they have as most efficient lol

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok what freaking idiots.
Most Fuel Efficient Cars and SUVs of 2010 - Cars with Best Fuel Economy - thedailygreen.com
Like I promise you these guys doing these calculations drive like idiots. A small 1990 geo metro can hit 40 mpg better than any hybrid. I know myself as well as a few others can get over 40 mpg in our cobalts. If the guys on top gear can get 750 miles on a single tank. Like seriously. The idiots at the EPA suck at driving plain and simple.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Unfortunately there tests are designed to aproximate how most people drive.

Figure that summer mpg's drop by a good 5% when running the A/C and the difference between summer and winter mpg's can be a good 10%.

I ran some tests when I first got my car. If I drop my air pressure to around 30 psi warm (28 psi cold) and accelerate at same speed as everyone else off a light but shift later and run the A/C whenever it gets above 70 degrees outside and always go 10 mph over the highway limit along with everyone else I end up getting around the 29 mpg that my car is estimated with mixed driving.

However with tires inflated to 38 psi warm (35 psi cold) and only driving 5 over the highway limit and shifting with the shift light as well as not using the A/C unless it's up to around 75/80 degrees all of a sudden your talking an easy 5 - 7 mpg gain.

If you get good at timing traffic lights you can add another 2 or 3 mpg on top of that.
Unfortunatly most people like to drag race to the next red light so they can just sit there twiddling there thumbs wasting gas.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i was watching a top gear episode where it was a fuel economy challenge, they had a vw 3cyl polo get 80mpg and a twin turbo jaguar get 65mpg, yet no american thinks anything over 50mpg is possible unless you have a hybrid, hybrid cars are so over rated, there expensive as hell, a ***** to replace the battery, just ugh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.