Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been checking the forums out and searching through some things and theres a wealth of info here, glad I registered. A little about me:

Been saving up to buy a 3rd/ 4th gen Camaro for a year working my ass off part time during school (I'm 18 just graduated from HS). So I got a solid amount of cash and was planning on buying in the winter time or later, but the Cash for Clunkers program came around and my dad traded in our 1994 Chevy Astro with 157k on the clock for an 09 Cobalt LS coupe all white with blue pinstripe. He said I could use this car to commute to school with and whatnot.... So I just got my actual license card in the mail today and its time to start working on this baby! Car is barely 3 weeks old with 200 miles on it, first thing on the list is an intake. He doesn't care what mods are done as long as they aren't stupid and I pay for them. I've found what works best through searching so I hope to crack into the Balt soon enough. Still definitely getting that Camaro sometime! LS1 Power :cheesy:

Sorry for the essay and thanks for all the good info posted here!

Tom.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. Not 100% sure on the intake as I did some reading on that 2 days ago and it slipped my mind already. I read about there being 2 kinds of systems, I would opt for the one that is next to the engine opposed to the other one being lower to the ground and prone to getting wet. I read that a certain one may interfere with the mass airflow sensor if its dry I believe? A lot of people here have the K&N one, but I've heard a lot of negativity towards them.

The car we have is as base as it gets, power nothing... So we need to install power locks/ windows and an alarm. When the stock tires wear out then some nicer low profile rims/tires will go on. Window tints are in order as well soon.

I plan to spend under 2k on this car out of my pocket, cause I still want to be on track for buying a Camaro / Trans Am..

The above things listed my dad will take care of, other than that the only things I'd do would be intake and the full exhaust system- headers, dp, and pipe. But the exhaust is definitely for a little later cause the car is still brand spankin new.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
just tossing it out there but why did ur dad get the ls if he wants all the power options?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He got it cause everything was last minute. He was the last one to take advantage of the deal at Major Auto in Queens NY. There were 4 Cobalts left, 2 were sedans and the coupe we have and another red coupe. That one had power options and whatnot but was scratched and the dealer only wanted to take $200 off the total. Whatever, as long as we got locks and windows its fine. Cause hand cranked windows have been out of style since the early 90's haha.

Here got it for $12gs out the door after the 4500 Govmt credit and the dealership had a 4k off promotion. Not too shabby. He got the last one, even got interviewed by a local news crew about it..

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
^^ Thanks all. Yeah definitely for $8.5k taken off the total, I don't care if I need to flintstone it out of the dealership with a new car haha.. Throw an extra 3-4k for all the items listed above and it will be one bad @$$ car. Its pretty fun to drive, I mean I go easy on it since its still breaking in and I haven't thrown the pedal past 2/3rds, but it handles well and is nice and tight with the steering, no body roll.

Most of all I want to get the exhaust done, just so we can get some noise out of this 4 banger, but the warranty is fresh so that'll go on later. I just wish it had a meaner sound even with an exhaust overhaul, I really dislike the tone 4 cyls give out- fart cans haha.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
^^ Thanks all. Yeah definitely for $8.5k taken off the total, I don't care if I need to flintstone it out of the dealership with a new car haha.. Throw an extra 3-4k for all the items listed above and it will be one bad @$$ car. Its pretty fun to drive, I mean I go easy on it since its still breaking in and I haven't thrown the pedal past 2/3rds, but it handles well and is nice and tight with the steering, no body roll.

Most of all I want to get the exhaust done, just so we can get some noise out of this 4 banger, but the warranty is fresh so that'll go on later. I just wish it had a meaner sound even with an exhaust overhaul, I really dislike the tone 4 cyls give out- fart cans haha.
:laugh:
I have a fart can! :embarrest:
for the record tho, I didnt put it on, my stupid ex did & i just havent gotten around to replacing it yet--although i'll admit, i like the sound, its not stupid sounding...eh, oh well... haha

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, I dunno for me- nothing can replace the sound of a good exhaust kit on a good old American V8... Always been jealous of my coworker with his 95 Camaro Convertible and Borla exhaust, that thing sounds so sexy!

The Tsudo kit seems to be the best option for price vs. performance, sound ain't too shabby either. The Cobalt is too quiet!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Haha, I dunno for me- nothing can replace the sound of a good exhaust kit on a good old American V8... Always been jealous of my coworker with his 95 Camaro Convertible and Borla exhaust, that thing sounds so sexy!

The Tsudo kit seems to be the best option for price vs. performance, sound ain't too shabby either. The Cobalt is too quiet!
Oh I agree... IMO nothing sounds better than a Mustang or my friend's 00 Camaro SS... woo, i love those cars

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ Agreed.. I don't care what make and model it is as long as its a quality piece of equipment. Needs to look good, sound good, and go like a rocket!

But the growl on those cars is amazing, I love a car that looks fast while its parked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.