Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems some folks mask the chrome on the front grill Bowtie emblem when they paint it and some remove the gold part from the chrome background part as they are actually two parts stuck together.
Does ANYONE have GOOD, CLEAR picture(s) of the front face of the chrome part with the gold part removed, with no adhesive or glue on it?? Am interested in seeing the surface part of the chrome part.
Thanks to all in advance for any help on this..

GTO 1

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I had a friend that tried to separate the 2 pieces, but when they came apart, part of the gold piece broke off and was stuck to the chrome piece. So he had to Buy a new bowtie. But it looked kind of like just a rough mold. Sorry I don't have pics.

·
Registered
48 Posts
NOp.... I masked the chrome around the gold chevy emblem... I painted the emblem red and left the Chrome outline.... I think it came out looking GREAT!!!!!....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Post a picture!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
when i did mine the first time, i forgot the clear coat.:laugh: then i washed it with a high pressure washer. it took the black right off the chrome part. and left the center black. wouldnt recommend it but it worked on accident. ha ha.
i would just tape it though for desired effect.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
328 Posts
i would just like to say for those of you who may not know...

anytime you paint something, 9 times out of 10, you HAVE to sand the piece other wise the paint will not stick...sometimes you get lucky and it does for a while but it will eventually come off some how ...some ways to help prevent this is use some type of adhesion promoter and then primer then paint and of course clear coat even if you want it to be like flat black (or any other flat color) use a Matte clear it adds protection and prolongs life haha....its even harder to paint chrome and some types of plastics!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is why......

Thanks for all the replies,, I do appreciate it. Let me tell you what's on my mind, so you'll know where and why I'm going this way.
Im not a fan of the stock front gold bowtie with the Imperial blue. At first, I took the entire emblem off via both spped nuts to see what the oem door (small) SS emblem would look like. As most know there are 4 odd spaced holes in the "grill bar" behind the stock bowtie that the SS emblem will not cover.. PLUS there is a slight slope on each side (not completely flat) as the front of the car has a slight point to it. A flat emblem of size will not fit well on a "pointed" surface... So.... My next brainstorm was mask off, prep and paint the gold (only) part of the stock bowtie Imperial Blue to match the paint, leaving the surround chrome visable. I was to mask it as if I separated it, it would never fit (for me!) back to straight, stock appearance... THEN, another brainstorm hit... How about removing the gold insert from the chrome and discard. Prep and paint only the chrome base and install. IF the front face of this chrome base has a smooth, clean surface, the newly painted base will bolt up 100% to the car (as it was stock to begin with, it is now "body color" and now I have a subtle Chevy bowtie outline that has a nice FLAT mountable surface!! This is new to me so I haven't had time to measure and calculate sizes and am nor sure the door SS will fit the base bowtie etc... haven't gotten that far,,, but the red trunk/behind the front door Monte Carlo SS emblems I bet would fit VERY nicely,,, small and not in your face.. remember those??
So back to my original question... Is the front face of the chrome base smooth and pit free or rough and cross hatched to allow the adhesive to bond the two together, which would not work for me at all with this plan. Somebody has had to have these apart and cleaned up to take a good clear pic and post up....
Sorry for the novel guys (and gals), but thats where I'm coming from on this. Yall have given ME good ideas on here,, maybe someone will read this and have another idea or a twist!!
Again ,, any help here,, I would greatly appreciate!!! Thanks for listening!!!

GTO 1

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have seen it separated. Its not smooth at all. Its got circles from the molding.
You could also try these. Its actually a local guy i know here, he does really good work.
He can also do something custom for you.
Cobalt : 24Designs.net, Custom Emblems 24Designs.net
Although, I haven't seen it yet,, I'm hearing it is not smooth or what I need to do my thing. May have to go back to my first plan of spraying the gold portion, leaving the outside chrome. Hmmmm... Thanks for the link... but I have seen his product. I try to be respectful to everyone,, but I can't figure out how they remain in business. A lot of disappointed customers when they receive their order. I have personally seen the bowtie replacements (from a disappointed friend). Appears to be a straight piece of cheap cut plastic with dime store poorly painted graphics. If it was $1.25, I would not display on my vehicles. Just not what i (or most) are looking for. A company with a GREAT idea.. but very poorly implemented.

GTO 1

·
Registered
31 Posts
i currently have the gold bowtie seperated from the chrome outline i coudl take a pic for you if you still wanna know what it looks like. my husband is in the process of painting the bowties blue. He did sand them and do a few coats of paint then clear coat them. the front bowtie had a crack in it before he removed it so hes having trouble gettign that part smooth and to look right but its coming out pretty good. i'll post pics when its done

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Seems like the best route is taping it real good and then be careful painting it. Best luck man

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i currently have the gold bowtie seperated from the chrome outline i coudl take a pic for you if you still wanna know what it looks like. my husband is in the process of painting the bowties blue. He did sand them and do a few coats of paint then clear coat them. the front bowtie had a crack in it before he removed it so hes having trouble gettign that part smooth and to look right but its coming out pretty good. i'll post pics when its done
YES!!!! If you have a good, clear, detailed picture of the front of the silver with the gold bowtie removed,, I would be VERY interested in seeing it. Also,, PM sent.

GTO 1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.