Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
yes i know its not green...and please dont tell me its wrong. it will only lead to an argument. and i know i wont pass emissions with it...good thing im moving back to a state that could care less if you run open header(s). i also realize that the minimal gain isnt worth it...that is by no means my intention.
but i just threw a cat code, and cant afford a new dp. and im not going to just replace just the cat. so my question is....
would gutting it change anything in my pcm's mind? anyone know?.... i figure not. but could it help my car until i get a new dp?
btw, the only affecting mods would be k and n intake, and gmpp cat back, both on for well over a year. i had a flowmaster 40 series for about a year. and got one code from it. but the dealer "said" everything was fine....not under warranty anymore either.....

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I don't know if gutting would help. Doesn't the cel stay on until it's reset or something?

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
If my CAT went bad and I could not afford to get a new one I would gut it. Here's the thing, without the cat's guts you might throw a CEL, in fact I am sure that you will, and you may see a minor drop in mpg and power, but if you drive around on a plugged cat you will kill your motor.

I know, some think an engine "needs" back pressure, or it will not run. That is not exactly true. An engine does not "need" back pressure, however they are set up (timing) from the factory to compensate for the back pressure. This is why when you remove the back pressure the car will not feel exactly right.

Still, that's a hell of a lot better than a toasted engine from a plugged cat.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
If you gut your cat it will run like a catless dp for the most part. It will run rich and possibly throw a CEL (at least mine did when I went to a catless dp)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Hey bro, If you need one I'll send you my stock one free. Just pay shipping. LMK

·
Registered
248 Posts
i thought u were gona show pics of an actual cat being gutted....like as if u were guna eat it or something lol cuz u said "its not green....and plz dont tell me its wrong" or something like that :laugh::laugh::laugh:

yah im immature

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Actually without the right backpressure you can ruin an engine. Take a good look at all the ricers (that are fairly new) and check out how many that sound like pissed offf bumblebees on steroids are smoking out the exhaust(bad engines).
I ruined a 77 Monte Carlo by cutting the exhaust off at the Ypipe and not putting any kind of muffler on it, and that was from a race shop. Even race cars run some kind of muffler to induce back pressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.