Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever gutted a catalytic converter? My car has been throwing a P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold code for a while now, gonna try gutting my cat to see if it helps at all. Has anyone ever done it before that can give me tips? Or is there a way to clean it that is easier?

·
Registered
266 Posts
i've had a buddy take the bolts out of the front take the rest of the pipe down so you don't have to weld anything back together and then take a broom handle and beat the guts out of it. i did it on a jeep of mine that i had, just make sure that you live in a state without emissions inspections or you'll get screwed

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Gutting it won't help. Sometimes and O2 sensor can be going bad and throw this code. Cobalts are bad for killing their catalytic converters however do it could be dying.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
Get a header/DP combo. Problem solved :)
This.

If you gut it, you're still going to get a code. Hell, I have a cat (a high-flow one on my ZZP downpipe), and the car doesn't even see it, so it throws a code.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
200 cel cats are bad for throwing codes. You can get your tune adjusted to tune off that code if you wanted.

Sent from the sexy electrician

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.