Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i plan to do a project with the 1st gen projector halo headlights on my 07 cobalt LT, so im going to replace the rings with ccfl to be brighter plus would be a cool project to do seemed pretty easy due to the page i found n red throug, heres a link.

How to Swap to CCFL halos in 1st Gen Projectors

Any body ever try or have any thing to add to the subject?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did this mod to my gen 1 projectors. I cant remember where I ordered my rings from but they were blue ccfl. 90mm and 100mm? Had to have an inverter for each one. All i rember is getting so frustrated because they kept burning out. Customer service was great though had about 3 extra rings sent without hassle. Just make sure you buy protectors that go over them and watch out when your gluing them in. I had some super glue spill over the edge and f%#@ up my painted lights.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Might go blue to match the leds in the light but dont know cause he said they burn out easy..
Who said they burn out easy? Thats a lie LOL..CCFL Are amazing you going to love them, and there is a page on ebay that they sell them on any size, any color very cheap lemme look for it and I will get it for you. only question, don't you get pulled over for having the BLUE halos on your state? ..Here in Cali I can't do red nor blue :( </3

·
Registered
583 Posts
They "Burn out" (they actually break) if you dont install them properly since is kinda glass if they are loose or you drive over rocks really fast LOL the movement breaks a corner of them and they go off, but I have about 2 years now with my headlights and never have a problem with the halos however I had my fog lights with CCFL halo rings a well but since my bumper is not really attached lol is kinda loose it shakes so it broke the halos :( but I am not fixing them until I secure my bumper :D....but nah they are pretty legit.

·
Registered
583 Posts
All together project cost 100

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Called inverter right? Looks like the rings in ebay have em included
Yeap inverter or something like that, some of them come with it, but I think is better but it out separate rings it self are around 5 dlls each. Converters are about 3 each I believe. Or maybe you can get a deal all together probably!.

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well il be getting the ones with built-in inverters.so the sum of it all is 65$ just dont know bout taking the light apart n touching the projector n i have to cut the glue to get the front off

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Instead of buying super glue and a glue guy y not buy high temp strong glue?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well il be getting the ones with built-in inverters.so the sum of it all is 65$ just dont know bout taking the light apart n touching the projector n i have to cut the glue to get the front off

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Instead of buying super glue and a glue guy y not buy high temp strong glue?

Problem you will face with the high temp strong glue is that in order for you to break the headlights apart usually you have to "cook" them ...Heat them up on the oven to loose the glue and if you add that high temp glue resistant if anything goes wrong down the road you will have a hard time to rip them apart again.....

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Problem you will face with the high temp strong glue is that in order for you to break the headlights apart usually you have to "cook" them ...Heat them up on the oven to loose the glue and if you add that high temp glue resistant if anything goes wrong down the road you will have a hard time to rip them apart again.....
Now what would use to make sure the ring is secured? Il have to prep these light when i get paid so i can put it in when i get it all

·
Registered
675 Posts
if youre gonna go blue rings make sure your actuall headlight color is a good white color. i had a friend get pulled over for blue rings but since his headlights were a bright white they let him go

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do i actually need a rotarty tool for the 90mm ring to get the sides off or can i use a sand sponge and for the hole for the wires can i use a drill bit and just shave it down? Instead of wasting my money on that when il only use it once lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.