Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an increase in frequency in the loss of headlights in the Wife's Cobalt, I started to investigate what the cause could be, given the most common reasons. I'd discovered that the Dc voltage off of the regulator was a tad bit high, though for most everything on the car, tolerable, possibly even for the headlamps, except that these are daytime running lamps so they see a lot of hours, coupled with the 15 volts and this means a short life span.

Instead of replacing the alternator's regulator i'd decided to go a different approach and went with LED's for the headlamps. Specifically choosing this model as they have regulation from 12-24 volts which would solve my issue. As the Cobalt doesn't lend itself to modifications, I had to do some work to get these in, but nothing crazy. Turns out they really do work good. We will find out how long they last now. Wife approved.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
After an increase in frequency in the loss of headlights in the Wife's Cobalt, I started to investigate what the cause could be, given the most common reasons. I'd discovered that the Dc voltage off of the regulator was a tad bit high, though for most everything on the car, tolerable, possibly even for the headlamps, except that these are daytime running lamps so they see a lot of hours, coupled with the 15 volts and this means a short life span.

Daytime running lamps run on a reduced voltage of about 10.5 volts unless the wire coil resistor shorted out like it did on my 07.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.