Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aright so two or three days ago this part falled off my hand brake:

Now, the brake won't lock. I mean, you don't hear the grrrrrrrrrr then lock. My button on is not problem. I went to GM and they told me it will cost me 381$ to repair it. I mean, 381$ to know wich f***in screw falled off?! So could someone help me out on this one? I am sure that this is not a big problem and can be resolved easily!

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah... I think I'll open everything to see if I can do something to notice where this thing goes.
That is probably the best thing to do. See if you can find another cobalt and see if you can compare where and how it should fit. You should be able to figure it out that way. Also, salvage yards can be your friend.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I assume that since you have the part that it's an internal part from the cabin and not from below that car. I checked my handbook and they want us to grease the handbrake, but that is down below. Since it looks like the part that holds locks the brake in position, can you have someone pull up the handle and press the release button several times and just look at what moves. I'ts got to be part of the button release and lock system. Good luck, let us know when it's fixed. The cost is so high that I think you were quoted a price for the entire assembly.

·
Registered
985 Posts
shit my reply wasnt posted...

I took my hand brake apart a bit and saw that theres a piece that looks like a gear near the bottom front if youre looking from the drivers side. I'd bet the piece you have sits in the brake and locks into this. I would have gone further but the brake is riveted together, but if you can get it open I bet it will be pretty obvious where it goes.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Since the piece you are holding in your hand is riveted into place within a riveted assembly, I'm affraid you are going to have to visit the junkyard for a complete assembly. I've circled the rivet in question in these pictures from both sides.

Parking Brake lever assembly pictures by Coby007 - Photobucket

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since the piece you are holding in your hand is riveted into place within a riveted assembly, I'm affraid you are going to have to visit the junkyard for a complete assembly. I've circled the rivet in question in these pictures from both sides.

Parking Brake lever assembly pictures by Coby007 - Photobucket
I'm pretty sure you are right. I checked for about 1 hour trying to find where that thing goes and nothing seems to fit it. And to make thing worse, there's no screw. It's rivet all over the brake. I guess that scrapyard + mecanic student will be my best and cheapest way to fix this. No way I'll pay 400 bucks for this...

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
yeah, stupid canadian chevrolet dealers, they rape us even more then in the US....$381 is RIDICULOUS! try to fix it yourself, not worth paying that!!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
U should be able to change this yourself. One nut holds the cable and 4 nuts holds mechanism to floor. Be the student mechanic and save his salary and learn in the process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The problem with this part is if were riveted in the past you will definitely plkay hell trying to rivet it back. My suggestion would be to find someone you know who can weld it back in. Ive had to place it back in its spot, which fits like a tight puzzle piece, several times within the past year. You have to take the assembly out and turn it upside down to notice how it goes back in.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tis a damn shame how much the dealers rape you once a vehicle is out of warranty. This is one of the main reasons that on any vehicle from any manufacturer I am a proponent of Extended Warranties (GMPP, FPP CPP)

yeah they are costly, but that repair would have been free with the GMPP.

Also, GM either needs to start extending the initial warranty to 100,000 miles or get their dealers to start coming down on their over-inflated labor hours. If Kia and Hyundai can now give you 10/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranties so can GM and others. If their product is so great... they should stand behind it, not give you a song and dance about fixing it.

I only buy American, but the excuses they come up with to get out of fixing cars under warranty does get on my nerves.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I only buy American, but the excuses they come up with to get out of fixing cars under warranty does get on my nerves.
I used to buy only North American, but in 2004 when they wouldn't fix or couldn't fix my beautiful 2002 Pewter 4 door 4X4 S10 with 4.3Vortec ( I loved that truck) I switched to Mitsubishi and purchased an Outlander XLS AWD special edition. The best vehicle I ever bought. It now has 374000Kms and still runs like a charm.

I would really like to buy North American again but just can't seem to find anything I like so I'm on pause for now but eyeing Outlander Sport or RVR in Canada.

Don't know about Mitsubishi service I had my first problem at 192000Kms and warranty was up and fixed it myself. (Purge solenoid)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.