Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2008 Cobalt LS sedan 5 speed with less than 500 miles, and I've begun to notice it takes more and more effort to put it in gear for the first time after the clutch pedal goes down.

For example, say I'm in neutral, I push the clutch pedal down, and it requires a lot of force to throw it into 1st, but if I keep the clutch pedal down after putting it into 1st, return it to neutral, then try it again, it's easy to put in first.

This happens going to any gear going from neutral (not that I would do that while driving, just for diagnosing the problem). It also is hard going from 3rd or 2nd to 1st gear if I'm coasting to a stop that will be quick where I just want to leave the clutch pedal down.

I'm going to have it looked at, but wondering if anyone might know what's going on? I'm thinking it could be something to do with the clutch not fully disengaging, adding more force to the clutch pedal doesn't seem to make it any easier though, maybe it could be part of the hydraulic system with the clutch, or completely something else. I just don't really know much about the internals of a car. Thanks :)

Edit: It could also be possible that there is no problem at all for the car especially since it's new I guess, gotta work it in maybe? Wondering if this is a normal thing and if I should stop worrying about it so much.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The cobalt syncromesh transmission isnt quite the best when it comes to the reliability of the syncros...A syncro if you are wondering, is an extra gear in the transmission that aligns the other gears to allow easier shifting. To get it into 1st, sometimes its easier to put it into 2nd to line up the syncros a little better and then put it into 2nd. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the same problem. But I do just nugz said. I just put into a dif. gear first(I use 3rd) then everything is fine. I glad Im not the only one. I was about to take to the dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it more when I get it back, it's being looked at right now. I tried it doing it though as a friend suggested earlier, not sure if it's a lot better. For me it seems that it's just as hard to put into 2nd or other gears as it is to put into 1st.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have the same problem.. i have to play around with shifting to diff gears and then they will smooth out until the next time i have to start shifting again lol.. i wonder if i can take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have that same problem, i'll either release the clutch then press it down again and try 1st again or i'll use 2nd first then go up to 1st. This is my second cobalt 5 spd and they both had this problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about the delay, the dealer checked it out and said its normal. They told me they had just tried one of their cobalts on the lot with a 5 speed, and it shifts the same as mine. I wanted to just go check it out myself to see if its similar, and it turned out they didn't have any 5 speeds on the lot at all. I'm sure the mechanic was speaking from experience...but don't make stuff up.

I'm glad I know its fine now, especially if everyone else feels the same way with theirs, but I'd still like to hop into another one to check sometime, I'll have to get to another dealer with a stick on hand.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is common in all the balts, mine does it too, even on reverse as well. The best thing to do is to release the parking brake (if trying to get into reverse) and let the car roll just slightly and it'll pop right into gear, same story getting into first just don't mind the parking brake part, that's the only method I've found works every time... And by slightly I mean it doesn't even take an inch of movment...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Sorry about the delay, the dealer checked it out and said its normal. They told me they had just tried one of their cobalts on the lot with a 5 speed, and it shifts the same as mine. I wanted to just go check it out myself to see if its similar, and it turned out they didn't have any 5 speeds on the lot at all. I'm sure the mechanic was speaking from experience...but don't make stuff up.

I'm glad I know its fine now, especially if everyone else feels the same way with theirs, but I'd still like to hop into another one to check sometime, I'll have to get to another dealer with a stick on hand.
But of course they will think it's normal. ALL of them do it. there is nothing we can do. Well, short of rising against the car co.........

·
Registered
35 Posts
and cobaltkrazy was never seen or heard from again, having been snatched by GM's elite ninja complaint department and pushed into lake michigan in the trunk of a chevy celebrity.

·
Registered
265 Posts
and cobaltkrazy was never seen or heard from again, having been snatched by GM's elite ninja complaint department and pushed into lake michigan in the trunk of a chevy celebrity.
SSSSHHHH!!! Stop talking about him or they'll get you too...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lots of cars do this, I used to work for UPS and all their trucks do it too. Easiest way to avoid problems is if it doesn't go into 1st right off the bat is to go to 2nd, barely lift the clutch allowing the synchro to spin and then it will shift right into 1st. That's what the UPS mechanic told me to do to avoid causing any problems with the transmission. Totally different vehicle I know, but it worked for 5 years of UPS truck driving and 13 months in my Balt!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
SSSSHHHH!!! Stop talking about him or they'll get you too...
too bad, i broke out of the car with the tire iron before the car plunged into the lake, and i am seeking revenge......Hai-YA!

i can never be shut up. i have had more than my fair share of issues with the balt.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
hmm interesting techniques... I only have this issue some times, but nice to know now my tranny isn't broke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.