Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past couple days its been really cold. With this my SS is hard to shift driving for the first 20 min of my drive to work. Is this normal because of the weather. This is my first winter having this car. During winter should I be using a different kind of tranny fluid?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Oil in a manual transmission at -40°C or F is probably like molasses with the only thing to heat it up is friction. So I imagine it takes a while to warm up.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You should never start up a car in the freezing cold and just take off. Let it run a minute so oil circulates. Or 10 or 15 to warm the car to operating temp so its warm for you too

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Mine warms up on cold days for 15 mins - 30 mins;)

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
tranny's do not tend to warm up while the motor does... or I should say, they do not warm up like the motor does by just sitting. I've learned to let things circulate motor-wise for a couple mins or no more then 5 mins and just drive easy. I used to be one to let the car sit for a good bit but realized its not going to do anymore damage as long as you are not romping on it from the start.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
tranny's do not tend to warm up while the motor does... or I should say, they do not warm up like the motor does by just sitting. I've learned to let things circulate motor-wise for a couple mins or no more then 5 mins and just drive easy. I used to be one to let the car sit for a good bit but realized its not going to do anymore damage as long as you are not romping on it from the start.

Not to mention the gas, I started mine and just taking the time to scrap off the ice and let it get to operating temp was a good chunk of my gas tank

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Not to mention the gas, I started mine and just taking the time to scrap off the ice and let it get to operating temp was a good chunk of my gas tank
You get worse mileage if its the engine is cold and you're driving though. Let it warm up a few minutes and it helps basically everything

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

I also did notice the tranny doesn't really heat up just idling like Beamer said as well

·
Registered
547 Posts
I usually just let the car get to it's normal idle then drive slowly I heard its better to do that then let it sit tranny only warms as u drive so might be normal mine seems sluggish too on cold days

·
Registered
172 Posts
gear oil is very thick to start with, so in manual trans when very cold out shifting is going to be stiff, sluggish, until tranny is at operating temp!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
These cars use atf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.