Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hard wire a garage door opener? I am running a door opener that uses 6Volt battery power. I would like to hardwire this in to run off of the car power so I dont have to replace the batteries every like 3 months. Plus I want to hide the opener so it doesnt look so tacky.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
you could base wire it to a cigarette lighter, you prolly dont need both lighter outlets, and you could stick it under the steering column, it will clip on nicely under there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of tapping into either the cig lighter, or the fuse box. but in either case those are 12V outputs and my garage door opener is 6V's. How do I step down the voltage to be able to use it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I was thinking of tapping into either the cig lighter, or the fuse box. but in either case those are 12V outputs and my garage door opener is 6V's. How do I step down the voltage to be able to use it.
put in some resistors, you can get them at any electronic store.

·
Registered
750 Posts
where ever you get the power from your going to have to step it down. A resistor that big is going to be hard to find. However i did stubble across this. ACC-C10-5754 - VOLTAGE DROP 12V TO 6V CONVERTER Another option would be to wire up a voltage regulator from radioshack but that is a lot more complicated. To hide the opener I would find somewhere under the dash or something that i could hide the circuit board and wire it into the car. Then rewire the switch to a new one and mount that in a conveinient out of sight place such as the little cubby where the trunk switch is located.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just because you think its pointless doesn't mean others wont find interest in it. If you do a search for it online you will see that lots of people have done this or want to do this. I think its a good idea personally for the clean look and no one would know that you have a door opener in your car to steal. I know people who have had their cars broke into just for the door opener and then ended up having their house broke into. The way I look at it is the less the a-holes can see what you have in your car the less chance you have of them breaking into your car to get something

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that and what if I wanted to put it on a motorcycle too? that way I wouldnt have to worry about the clicker falling off, I could just have a little easy access button I could just mash.

and thanks for the link to the converter.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mount it in the compartment the trunk switch is in, thats where i put the toggle for my LED's. Fits well, easy access, and cant be seen from the outside. I cant think of anywhere to put in on a motorcycle that wouldnt look ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Mount it in the compartment the trunk switch is in, thats where i put the toggle for my LED's. Fits well, easy access, and cant be seen from the outside. I cant think of anywhere to put in on a motorcycle that wouldnt look ridiculous.
well, if you had bike bags on the back, but it all depends on the bike, there are places you can put it too

·
Registered
47 Posts
then go post in a motor cycle forum
this was just another example of where else it could be handy to have. My original question was what I needed to do to down convert the 12v to 6v so I could hardwire it into my balt.
Now unless you have something usefull to say how about you keep your mouth shut please.

back on topic... I think that hiding it in the trunk compartment is a good idea, although I was slightly considering a lighted led switch and sticking it next to the cigerette lighter... might be nice

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
at work right now, its my first H-D coming from a long line of crotch rockets. XL883SportyBlack.
Bike bags? if not, go out to the local hardware store, and nab yourself some velcro strapping, and mount it to the bottom side of the tank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.