Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if the next person who is going to make retros make a video just step by step photos of opening the headlights pre ready the headlights for paint and the installing the retros and hooking them up to the car would be very very very helpfull I'd love you for everrr

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
how about i send you mine and you retro them ;)

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Anyone actually need this diy? I am about to do a retrofit, and could go out of my way and record a how to, but only if people actually need it. Vote now.. haha
Yeah do it, might as well.those ones you did look awesome.

To the OP. If you have no idea how to wire and do things like this I would buy the retrofitted ones already.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
78 Posts
So let me ask because I watched those mh1 retrofit diy videos and I've been
researching for a couple of days.

I didn't see any support for the projectors installed when he attached them
to the lens reflector.

The only point I see it connected was at the lens reflector where
he dremeled for the opening.

Is that enough to support the weight of the projectors?

I was going to purchase the Depo Gen 4's but if I can retrofit the
morimoto mini h1 6.0 bi-xenon ($120) into some stockers for the cost of the depo gen 4's ($220) it just seems like it makes more sense to do that....
I'd love to do some nicer 3" fxr or something but the morimoto mini h1 6.0's seem to be much better than the depo's so it would be just fine....

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
So let me ask because I watched those mh1 retrofit diy videos and I've been
researching for a couple of days.

I didn't see any support for the projectors installed when he attached them
to the lens reflector.

The only point I see it connected was at the lens reflector where
he dremeled for the opening.

Is that enough to support the weight of the projectors?

I was going to purchase the Depo Gen 4's but if I can retrofit the
morimoto mini h1 6.0 bi-xenon ($120) into some stockers for the cost of the depo gen 4's ($220) it just seems like it makes more sense to do that....
I'd love to do some nicer 3" fxr or something but the morimoto mini h1 6.0's seem to be much better than the depo's so it would be just fine....
Yes It is good as far as support, If you are worried you can always silicone the back aswell or jbweld for added security

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok thank you for the info! Just a few more questions.

I've searched for hours but making sure I'm very clear before I get into
the retrofit.

1.How is it attached at that point?
In the video I don't remember being told how it's attached. Ie. Glue, JBWeld etc...
What Holds it againsnt the lens reflector?

Also,
2. With these projectors, they take H1 HID bulbs correct? Or do they take D2S bulbs.

3. I'm trying to pinpoint some specs on Lumens for a 55W Ballast and Bulb...
If it's just an H1 HID Bulb then my plan was to purchase them from DDM Tuning.

Here are the projectors I'm looking at, I don't know if they include the same flat spacer/metal material shown in the video.

Bi Xenon Morimoto Mini 6 0 H1 Retrofit Projectors | eBay

Just making sure I should only need the above projectors
and an HID kit.
Of course I'll need butyl tape/sealer and the High Temp Engine Paint I'll use to spray the old lens reflector flat black/black or whatever.

I don't mind splicing the wiring going to the headlight since we payed off her car about 4 months ago. I'll also have to pull the fuse for the drl or re-wire it so it's to something else like an LED maybe in the projectors for a Devil Eye mod.

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Ok thank you for the info! Just a few more questions.

I've searched for hours but making sure I'm very clear before I get into
the retrofit.

1.How is it attached at that point?
In the video I don't remember being told how it's attached. Ie. Glue, JBWeld etc...
What Holds it againsnt the lens reflector?

Also,
2. With these projectors, they take H1 HID bulbs correct? Or do they take D2S bulbs.

3. I'm trying to pinpoint some specs on Lumens for a 55W Ballast and Bulb...
If it's just an H1 HID Bulb then my plan was to purchase them from DDM Tuning.

Here are the projectors I'm looking at, I don't know if they include the same flat spacer/metal material shown in the video.

Bi Xenon Morimoto Mini 6 0 H1 Retrofit Projectors | eBay

Just making sure I should only need the above projectors
and an HID kit.
Of course I'll need butyl tape/sealer and the High Temp Engine Paint I'll use to spray the old lens reflector flat black/black or whatever.

I don't mind splicing the wiring going to the headlight since we payed off her car about 4 months ago. I'll also have to pull the fuse for the drl or re-wire it so it's to something else like an LED maybe in the projectors for a Devil Eye mod.

1) You will have to modify your reflector bowl just a bit, And then you just put the thread through and then the bolt. Ill post pics of what mine looks like when I get back. So just a bolt holds it in but for added security jb weld or high temp silicone works.

2) Correct they take h1 bulbs.

Let me know if you have any other questions feel free to PM me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome man, Thank you for helping out other members like myself.

Any and all photo's you have I'll take a look at. Even if you'd rather email them to
me, I'm willing to upload them for everyone.

This just seems too easy. lol It's why I'm making sure I'm 100% clear before I order anything.

It's not this easy to retrofit the TSX Projectors in correct because of the larger size 3" projectors.
Because if it was just as easy, I would do those instead. I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with these though. I'm tired of the factory headlights not lighting anything up. We're in
TN so I have plenty of night time open road driving.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.