Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone gotten thier halos from ebay?. Do they work as good as from like a site with a name brand on them. i want the brightest blue est halos out there and i don't know which ones to buy and if it would matter if they are from ebay or not.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
The ones on Ebay are the same ones being sold in stores and online web stores. Just email a vendor and ask which brand they are selling, if they do not mention the brand. Most ebay vendors will advertise the brand as a name is what sells the product.

·
Registered
25 Posts
E bay

If you are careful and make sure to buy the right ones off e bay then you should be alright. Just find ones that a lot of people have purchased and given positive feed back.

Be careful tho because I have had trouble in the past with a few different vehicles with after market lights off e bay. Some times I ran into trouble getting them to fit and hook up just as they should.

In the end it is your call but just remember when if comes to upgrading, most times spending a little extra money to get the best product will be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I ordered some blue halos off eBay for my civic. 4 halos (2 sets). the seller was from out east, somewhere in asia. The ballasts laster all of 45 minutes. I had the seller send me a few new ballasts...I went through 4 ballasts in all. The halos seemed to work fine but the ballasts sucked. they would burn out in under 40 mins. They were bright blue colored ballasts. I then ordered new ballasts that were black in color and seemed much more legit. I tested them and they worked fine, although I sold the headlights a couple days later and then sold the civic since I was getting the cobalt. So basically, don't buy from anywhere in china selling the bright blue colored ballasts. The black ballasts with the writing/sticker on one side and red/black wiring seemed legit and worked fine. Just be careful, as feedback isn't always accurate in this case (a lot of ppl will just test the halos to see if they turn on, then leave good feedback.)

·
Registered
352 Posts
pretty much any of the CCFLs are bright

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Oh. you meant the actual HEADLIGHTS. you should SPECIFY next time, as I though you were referring to the RINGS and ballasts only...I'd say the ones that beamer has are the brightest/most stylish...gen2's I believe?

·
Registered
352 Posts
do the ballasts for the ccfls take up much space? and where did you put them at? pics? ive heard that the ballasts get hot and melt the back of your headlights?

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Beamer has Gen 2s

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
do the ballasts for the ccfls take up much space? and where did you put them at? pics? ive heard that the ballasts get hot and melt the back of your headlights?

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Beamer has Gen 2s
...i highly doubt that.
If you have the aftermarket projector headlights with angel eyes off ebay or whatever (gen1-4), the ballasts should be inside the actual headlight, out of sight, and you most likely will just have the wire coming out. At least that's how it was for my civic gen2 projectors (which are very similar to the cobalt ones, just a different shape)

For my retrofits, the ballasts are mounted behind the headlight on some metal, they are not touching the housing or any wiring. They do not get hot, and barely warm up. They definitely should not melt anything.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ya i read on another forum about them melting stuff. should have know those guys were idiots

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
how do i tell whats 2nd gen?
you gotta have skills. Well basically you need to know how to identify them...first off they must be CCFL. Second, there should be a bar of CCFL above the 2 halos, some vendors sell one model which actually painted over this CCFL bar, but you can still see the outline of it...let me see if I can find an example on eBay...

Here are gen2's with the ccfl bar painted over.
HIGH LOW HID 05-09 COBALT CCFL HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT on eBay.ca (item 150503571715 end time 06-Nov-10 03:57:51 EDT)

XENON 05-09 COBALT CCFL HALO BLACK PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS on eBay.ca (item 360309379684 end time 11-Nov-10 01:46:27 EST)

here's more:

COBALT EURO BLK LED CCFL HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS SET on eBay.ca (item 360304723936 end time 26-Oct-10 23:06:47 EDT)

Get the idea yet? they all have the same format. The 3 LED's are placed far back on the top outer end, and there is that bar thing which is a ccfl tube but for some reason most vendors have it painted over. And of course the two ccfl angel eyes. Also the look/design of the projectors. All the same. those are gen 2's.

happy shopping :D

I say get these, or gen 4's only. Else retrofits FTW!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just bought my Gen 1 with the CCFL halo's from K2 motors themselves, when the shipping was added in from Ebay, it ended up being about 5 bucks more than buying them directly from K2 themselves... I'll know more of the quality in about 5 days when they arrive, but I've heard great things about the CCFLs over the standard LED halo, and I've heard that K2's stuff seems to last longer than anyone else, lens clarity and all...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.