Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car started to not want to start cold from the first turn over, then the second turn of the key the car started fine and ran normally. Started smelling gas after parking the car and exiting. Noticed a couple of times a leak in front of the left rear tire. It would be dry after a couple of hours. Looks like the fuel in the line is leaking out, but something is keeping it from leaking from the tank. Wondering, is this just a leak in the line, or is there a bigger problem. IIRC the pump is in the tank, so that would keep fuel from continuously running out. Looking to see if this is any sort of common issue, the leak in front of the left rear tire.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Common issue, you will need to replace the line or part of it. The lines gather road grime inside the heat shielded area and corrode. All will be back to normal once you get this fixed. Just had my 07 done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoped for as much. with my luck I was expecting to hear I had to pull the tank, redo the bottom of the body, overhaul the engine and replace my headlights just to fix this issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
lol, just a 2 foot piece of fuel line.

Reactions: 1966tbird

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yup, same line and it rust at the same spot.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Cut the foil covering the fuel lines and wash all the dirt that accumulates because of it then spray rust proofing all over the lines. It will last longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I literally just fixed this on my 09 cobalt LT today. When I searched for the issue I found this thread http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/48706-fuel-leak-near-rear-driver-side-tire.html. Used the info as a guide to fix mine. From finding the leak spot, running around for parts and actual fix, took about 2 1/2 hours cost under $15.

On my car, the leak was inside the plastic clip that held the lines near the rear driver's side tire. The clip was plugging the hole in the fuel line. As soon as I popped that clip open fuel started pouring out leaving me with no choice but to fix it myself immediately so I can go to work tomorrow.

Used 3/8 Fuel injector hose, Fuel injector hose clamps and the smallest pipe cutter I could find. Cutting the line was the hardest part because of the clearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.