Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It gets better MPG. I must have missed the story.

Is it slower?

XFE just suppose to be:

- low resistance tires.

- new gear?

- engine tuning?

Or is it just marketing?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It has "taller" gears so the engine turns slower at highway speeds...the axle ratio is 3.74:1 and the XFE is only available with the manual tranny. The normal 2.2 manual tranny has a ratio of 3.94:1. Also has VVT.

Usually taller gears means slightly slower acceleration but the VVT might actually increase the low end torque so you wouldn't notice it as much over earlier 2.2s without VVT.

Normal auto 2.2 has 3.63:1 and normal manual 2.2/2.4 is 3.94:1...auto 2.4 tranny is 3.91:1.

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
I have driven a 2009 Cobalt XFE, the thing actually does get really good gas mileage. But by far is not slower, I put that thing through the paces, seems faster then mine was when it was stock, and I don't have the XFE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
XFE Owner

As everyone has mentioned it has the VVT, taller 5th gear, engine tuning, low resistance tires.

I have 15,000 miles on mine and am averaging 38 mpg. I commute about 100 miles a day 80% highway 20% city.

I would say it has plenty of power, but if you drive it hard your mileage will suffer. I typically get the EPA highway mileage or better on all my vehicles, but I drive pretty carefully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.