Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a while of using the handbrake to stop the car, thus leaving my right foot free to dab the throttle to prevent stalling, I did a search on here and the results were to clean out the TB, so I did. Battery disconnected, no key in the ignition and some TB cleaner.
It worked! But I have another problem now, it idles at around 2k. It will drop if stationary for 30 seconds but coming to a stop the revs bounce up uncontrollably.
Have I upset something? My L/100k has increased too, from 6.9 to 8.8.
PITA!!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you remove the throttle body to clean it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bring the car to operating temperature then shut it off.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to run but don't start. Leave it like that for 5 minutes (don't touch anything, especially the gas pedal)

This will make the ECU do a recalibration of the throttle body and some other systems. Technically it should do it within a minute but I do 5 minutes to be safe.

I'm not sure why people recommend unplugging the battery, when the key is off, there is no signal going to the throttle body. Disconnecting the battery for an extended period of time resets all calibrations and fuel trims. The PCM has to relearn everything (causing high idle, off behavior and bad fuel millage)

Good luck! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.