Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went to the movies last night to see "Date Night" (not too bad of a movie I might add) and as I was leaving the theatre they have a hell of an entrance/exit... I end up going slow and hear the bottom of my front end scrape the road. :( When I got home I felt underneathe my front lip and it's all scuffed up. Is this just something that comes with the territory of having a lower sitting car? I have the stock ss/tc suspension on. I was thinking about getting some sport line springs, but after that incident I'm not sure if I want them anymore. What kind of problems, if any do you guys have bottoming out or scraping?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I scraped my resonator a few times over speed bumps. I blame that on having a cheap exhaust with horrible fitment. It hangs to low anyway.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Lower=Higher. Higher probablility of scraping. This can be avoided by not taking steep entrances, find the most level area to enter/exit. If you have to park somewhere else and walk to an area that only has steep grades, do that. If an incline/dip cannot be avoided, take it at an angle to lower potential scrape risk. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
810 Posts
gotta go super slow.. Here in NY the roads and everything are horrible... still on my stock 16s and with SSkit on and sportlines :p

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Even going slow you can bottom out and rough up any body work on some parking lot entrances. That is why until I can afford a POS daily driver I will not lower mine.
This is stock height LS with side skirts straddling average height speed bumps, some can be higher, there are some in one parking lot that we cannot even take the car in since installation of the skirts.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Even going slow you can bottom out and rough up any body work on some parking lot entrances. That is why until I can afford a POS daily driver I will not lower mine.
This is stock height LS with side skirts straddling average height speed bumps, some can be higher, there are some in one parking lot that we cannot even take the car in since installation of the skirts.

yah but the slower the less scraping and damage u will get

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
gotta go super slow.. Here in NY the roads and everything are horrible... still on my stock 16s and with SSkit on and sportlines :p
X2.. I'm LS in 4x4 mode (stock), I drove over a median and came down off a 4in high curb at a 45 degree angle and scuffed my bumper up going really slow. I cant imagine being lowered here, and the speed bumpers are murder- I need to take some of them at an angle at stock height :unsure:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys act as if I was flying around that exit. :p I know, I got super slow at any entrance/exit, and I've been through this one before. It just surprised me to scrape my car. More or less it made me upset. I looked under it today and you can see where it scraped. It's along the front bottom of the lip. I could just take it off and repaint it, but that's too big of a PITA for now. It isn't visiable unless you get under the car, but ya know, it's right on the nose end of the bottom. First time I bottomed the front out on this car.

·
Registered
931 Posts
never bottomed out my cobalt, but i did do it to my trans am on a speed bump when i was drunk.. cost me an oil pan,

·
Registered
810 Posts
X2.. I'm LS in 4x4 mode (stock), I drove over a median and came down off a 4in high curb at a 45 degree angle and scuffed my bumper up going really slow. I cant imagine being lowered here, and the speed bumpers are murder- I need to take some of them at an angle at stock height :unsure:
ya its really bad

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I am on B&G springs and have never had a problem with bottoming out on stuff. I don't have super horrible roads around here but there are some nasty driveway entrance/exits. you just have to go at an angle to avoid scraping and know what you are doing. go slow over that kind of stuff. it's not that big of a deal if you don't mind driving with care.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I wish i scrapped......the rockers.....till i air'd er back up....haha that would be sweet!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
You come to terms with scraping. It happens, just like curbing your rims. In fact I scraped my bumper today on a parking curb. Theres the little "Aw F***" moment, then you get over it.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I scrape on every single speed bump. but they make em f***ing huge around here for some reason

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.