Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i was just wondering a few things... what parts will swap between the 2.2l, 2.4l, and 2.0l? are the heads interchangable? could you swap crank rods & pistons? also you can ignore this question but how much boost will the 2.2l take without leaning out? i'm just going to search that in a sec anyways just figured i'd throw it in. Oh also which 2.2l's got the 10 to 1 cr? i think thats all.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You're talking about three differenct displacement (i.e. different boreXstroke) engines. No the bottom end parts aren't going to swap. Heads maybe, I would have to look that up. I highly doubt it. What exactly is your question about boost for the 2.2L? You're going to need to be more specific. The LAP has 10:1 compression.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Well with any amount of boost, the car is going to lean out.. thats what tuning is for..

I am not sure if heads will swap, pistons will not. rods maybe..(not sure really) but i know that the 2.2 and 2.0 are almost identical. The 2.0 is just a destroked 2.2. the 2.4 is a bit different. It also has VVT (variable valve timing)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well both the 2.0 and the 2.2 have a bore of 86mm. why cant the pistons swap? and what i was thinking maybe the could be had just by swapping the crank. or it could work as a stroker kit for the 2.0. or if multiple major engine parts are interchangable maybe there are some sick frankinengines to be made. also i know this is a search away but what do most of you use for tuning?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so how exactly does trifecta work? does it offer any fuel tuning you can do yourself or is it all based on the tune they send you? and how much does each tune cost? i think i read 250 every time they retune it. thats expensive as hell. i can buy nistune for $400 on my z31 and tune the car myself. just seems like the cobalt is an expensive car to build. i think that will change in 5 or 6 year once ever ones figured out all the tricks to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry for double post just trying to get back on topic. does any one know if any heads will swap? or even which heads would flow the most air? i would expect ether the 2.0 or 2.4. has anyone tried porting there head? also does vvt work exactly like vtec from honda? i read that vvt helps in lowend torque so i'm guessing its not exactly the same.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
so how exactly does trifecta work? does it offer any fuel tuning you can do yourself or is it all based on the tune they send you? and how much does each tune cost? i think i read 250 every time they retune it. thats expensive as hell. i can buy nistune for $400 on my z31 and tune the car myself. just seems like the cobalt is an expensive car to build. i think that will change in 5 or 6 year once ever ones figured out all the tricks to it.
Well unfortunately, thats the way it is.. there arn't really any other sources of tuning.

The way Trifecta works is you tell them all the modifications you have done to your car, + your vin #, make, model etc. Then they send you a module that has kind of a base tune. you upload that tune, and then do some data logging. You then email that data to them and they modify your tune until they get it right.

I am not sure about the heads..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah that sucks. it will get better tho. the cobalt's still a young car. i don't think its potental has been realized yet. if gm keeps updating there small engines cheaper engine swaps will become avalible with easier cheaper tuning. wonder how hard it would be to get megasquirt working on a cobalt. for trifecta do you port your ecu in some way then plug in the modual (or whatever) into that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
httm://ztechz.net/id10.net its a site about tuning ecu's something like this might work on the cobalt. specificly that site is for tuning the nissan vg30dett. but it seems like the concept would work on any ecu with a little tweaking. it involves opening your ecu removing a rom from the circuit board porting that then programing a different rom yourself with software you can get online. i think it said everything you needed costs around $200.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
your link = fail

Trifecta is actually extremely easy to use. You plug it from a laptop, through the little module, then right into your OBDII port.

And if you look at their official site, there is a list of all the people that have the module. So chances are there is a local tuner in your area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry the links not working. i'm typing on a psp so i might have mixed up the address. it just seems like 250 every time you want a tune is bs. i'm sure there's a cheaper way to do it. i dont really have a cobalt to expiriment with though. i got on here to research for a friend and just kind of got hooked thinking about cheaper easier ways to make power. i think the cobalt has an interesting future. As there prices drop people wont be afraid to try new things like hybrid motors and head swaps.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yep. I think your right on the money.. The cobalt is just so new, that not a whole lot is out for it yet.. Plus people don't really like tearing into brand new cars lol. We probably wouldn't have much aftermarket if it wasn't for the SS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.